alert when install vmware 2 on domain contorller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alert when install vmware 2 on domain contorller

I tried to install VMWare Server 2 on a Windows 2003 server accting as a DC and received the message: it is recommended that you DO NOT install VMWare on a DC. Doers anyone know why this is. I do not want to ignore the message and install if it is going to cause problems on my network.

The server is new machine that doing nothing beside DC role in SBS2003 environment.

Thx.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: alert when install vmware 2 on domain contorller

More or less for the same reasons you shouldn't install Exchange on a domain controller - security reasons. Unless you are an SMB, DCs should really live on dedicated machine to lessen the chance that a vulnerability can impact directory services which is of grave importance to keeping the lights on.

Here is a better idea:

Remove Active Directory from the 2003 server.

Install VMware on the 2003 server.

Create a new VM and install Active Directory on it (If you have SBS, ensure SBS is supported as a VM).

Create additional VMs with the piece of mind that their operating systems and roles will remain safely isolated on the VMware host.

Congratulations, you now have a single piece of hardware fulfilling multiple roles in the datacenter, maximizing the use of that physical hardware.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: alert when install vmware 2 on domain contorller

SBS 2003 is running well on dedicated machine. And I have a virtual of it off site.
      I added the new server a week ago just to have an additional DC.
      This DC is pretty powerfull. So I decided to transfer 2 virtual XPs and run Server 1.0.7. (You answered to my questions in previous post about delaying startup of vms).
      1.0.7 didn't alert me because Install it first and later added DC role to the server. I guess in my scenario I will not compromize a security.

SBS2003, member 2003, my new DC on which I am trying to upgrade 1.0.7 to 2 with 2 Virtual XPs for 2 remote users.

Let's say somebody breaked my Virtual XP isn't it the same if one of physical XP will be hacked. I guess that by hacking my Virtual XP there is no easier way to hack the host than from hacked physical machine.
      Where is real security breach? And SBS itsel is everything (AD, Exchange and etc).
      I don't feel that I really copromize this Network by installing VMServer 2 on this tiny DC. Please bring the releif on that

Thx.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Working...
      X