No announcement yet.

ESX 3.5 - Network connection of Virtual Machines

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESX 3.5 - Network connection of Virtual Machines

Hi All,
    I hope you can help me with an issue I'm having. I'm a newbie with VMware so please bare with me.

I have two VSwitch' s setup, the first one being automatic and assigned to VMNIC0 (Eth0 (?)). I've setup the DNS and ROUTING using the VMNIC0 configuration, and my DNS as the external DNS address - the gateway address I used the gateway address assigned to the physical adapter. .

The physical server (HP 585 G2 server) has 5 nics, one that is the Eth0 that gets me the connection to the other networks within that subnet, plus the outside world.

The second VSwitch1, I have placed all other 4 NICS in this virtual machine network to utilize NIC teaming. I have 2 virtual machines that are a part of this VSwitch1 network. I have assigned IP addresses to these virtual machines that are within the range of one of the NICs.

The problem I'm having is, why can't any of my virtual machines not go outside the VSwtich1 network and see other networks, or even the internet?

What am I doing wrong??

Thank you in advance.

Re: ESX 3.5 - Network connection of Virtual Machines

You will need to verify a few things.

1. Make sure your vSwitch is actually bound to your ESX host pNICs in the networking configuration.

2. Make sure the pNICs are cabled properly to a switch that supports the vSwitch portgroups the VMs are connected to

3. Make sure the VMs are connected to the proper portgroups.

4. If using VLANs, ensure VLANning is configured properly on the ESX host and physical switch side. In addition, be sure the VLAN trunk cables connect the pNICs to the correct physical switch that is also configured for VLANning.

5. Check link speed and duplex on the ESX host (/usr/sbin/esxcfg-nics) and the physical swith.

There may be some other things to check but this is a pretty good list to check for openers.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.