No announcement yet.

Vmware ESX disk space issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vmware ESX disk space issue

I have just recently installed the ESX3 server.

I have 2 X 250GB hard drive build in RAID 1 and 4 X 900GB hard drive build in RAID 5

I am trying to add the 2nd logical harddisk as esx2, however, although the capacity has 2.7TB, the available disk space i have is merely 700GB

Is there a limitation for ESX server or something i have done wrong?
    Attached Files

Re: Vmware ESX disk space issue

Because the array already has partitions configured on it. In the screen you're looking at, VMware only looks at unallocated/unpartitioned space and displays it as free space. If you click through the screens to create new storage on this array, you should actually find that VMware will gladly wipe the existing partitions and you may create your VMFS storage. If I remember right, 2TB is the largest single VMFS volume you can create so with the amount of storage you have, you'd have to create a few VMFS volumes, or, concatenate at least 2 VMFS volumes to create 1 large VMFS volume which has the capacity of all available storage space. These are called "extents" and this is not a recommend practice. The amount of storage space you have for VMFS is impressive for a lab, but performance wise, it's not going to scale real well for any kind of mass production use. Don't think for a minute that just because you have 2+ TB of VMFS, that you can fill that VMFS with 50 VMs all running happily. With just a single controller and only 4 spindles, you'd crush your disk subsystem. So POC/DEV/LAB only. The other thing to consider is block size of your VMFS-3. Because you have such a large amount of storage capacity, you have some options for block size that many others with smaller LUNs do not. Block size boils down to how large of a file you plan on storing on the VMFS volume.

============= =======================
    1MB 256GB
    2MB 512GB
    4MB 1TB
    8MB 2TB
    Last edited by jasonboche; 26th September 2008, 14:48.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.