Numpty Newbie Question - Interrogate contents of Templates etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numpty Newbie Question - Interrogate contents of Templates etc

Hello folks, great to have found this place that seems to be full of great info

I've recently moved into an IT team in the UK that is running VMWare 3.5. There are quite a few servers already deployed and some of these were set up using a standard template. One of these groups of servers was created by a guy that I have come in to replace (he got a better offer ) and I have been asked to update some software on this group of VM'd servers. The first question I have is this. Is there a way to interrogate the contents of a template or a virtual machine without either deploying it or converting it? It might sound a bit daft but I don't really want to have to go through all the rigmorole of logging on to each vm etc just to find out what version of softwareX it's running, twould be far easier just to open up a txt file or something and browse and compare from there.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here.

thanks for all your help in advance.
    G
    Ha ha Ha Ha you want what?

Re: Numpty Newbie Question - Interrogate contents of Templates etc

there is no text file you can use to check what is installed on a VM - configuration files of a VM have the "hardware" configuration and disk topology per VM

If you have Update manager incorporated in to you ESX environment then maybe you could see if the VM's are up to date with their patches, but not much more than that.
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

This is about as close as your going to get from VMware provided information. VirtualCenter will provide you with Guest OS, IP address, DNS name, along with custom fields you can create to type in your own guest information. But there is no application like what we have on the hosted side (vmware-mount) which allows you to mount a .vmdk and "interrogate" as you say.
      Attached Files
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks Jason,Maish for your prompt replies.

Gutted really. The guy who left had done a great job of creating and deploying these servers but failed to either document or comment what was installed. I've been asked to load a newer version of NetAdvantage on one or two of these VM's and so now have to manually check each box to see what's on there, there's about 30 servers in total.

Thanks again,
        G

Comment

Even if vmware-mount was an option in ESX, you have to power down the VM before it will let vmware-mount have access to the .vmdk file so in that sense, vmware-mount is of no use to an online VM.

Jas
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the info Jason. Looks like it's back to DOS and a good old reg query then

Comment

Working...
            X