Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Allocation Issue

Hello All,
    We have been running VMware server on a Windows host for over 1 year now and decided to make the leap to ESXi with hopes to better utilize memory and processor.
    The install process went went perfect for ESXi but now are running into a problem with a few of our linux based guest OS's when trying to convert them to ESXi format. What seems to be happening is, for example, one of our guests is based on Centos 5 and when trying to convert the OS wants to allocate a full 60gb of drive space on ESXi when the OS only is using about 6gb. When i try to convert them the option to shrink/resize the partitions id grayd out and we are stuck with the full size. One major problem we are facing is for some reason out iFolder appliance is wanting to take up a total af about 380gb when we are maybe using 7 or 8 gb.
    Can the size of the VM disk allocations be shrunk to a more reasonable size? I know a major difference between ESXi and the server version is drive space is allocated up front, but there has to be something we can do for existing converted guest OS's. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tony D.

Re: Disk Allocation Issue

ESX supports thin provisioned disks (although it comes with a performance penalty).
    I do not know if ESXi supports thin provisioned disks (which is exactly what you are looking for).

Which P2V tool are you using? Look for an option during the P2V process to resize the disks.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Jas,
      Our problem started when the VM virtual appliance was built, the developer created giant virtual disks and we need to some how make them smaller but it doesn't seem like its possible. I tried using a live version of gparted to shrink the partition but that didn't work so we need to either find a solution or start from scratch and build our own install from the ground up.
      We didn't do any p2v conversion ans it was already working as a guest under VMware server without issue, its when we try to convert (using vmware converter) onto esxi that we have the problem for the virtual disk is seem as its total size. Thanks for the info on thin provisioned disks....i will do some research and see if its available in ESXi.

Thanks,
      Tony

Comment

There are other converters also. You might try Platespin. I haven't used the product myself but it is one of the more popular/premier converters on the market today.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X