Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vmware server performance when ubuntu is host very bad compared to xp pro as host

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vmware server performance when ubuntu is host very bad compared to xp pro as host

i have a c2d 1.86 ghz cpu , intel dg965ry motherboard
    with 4gb ram

when i use xp pro as host , i can run 4-5 guests with
    much much better performance compared to
    when i use ubuntu as host
    when i use ubuntu as host the performance is very slow
    even with only 2-3 guests running
    i have tried this with ubuntu 7.04 , 7.10 and also 8.04
    using vmware server 1.05,1.06 and 1.07

i use the same guest machines on both
    my guest os are ubuntu , xp , windows 2003

Re: vmware server performance when ubuntu is host very bad compared to xp pro as host

Are you asking a question or making a statement? In either case my suggestion is to run XP as the host if it performs better. If you're asking why Ubuntu doesn't perform as well then you should probably pose that question.

Comment

Re: vmware server performance when ubuntu is host very bad compared to xp pro as host

ubuntu can be installed in quite a few ways, it is very configurable.
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

That's an interesting observation. Most Linux admins would proudly tout their opinion that a GUI-less Linux host will outperform a Windows host, and some Windows admins would agree as well. If you performed a "FULL" installation of Ubuntu, well then I could see why it might be slower than a Windows host. You'd want to install the most option-limited version of Ubuntu possible for the best performance results.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X