Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

    Greetings

    Workstation 6.05 build 109488

    I use VMWare 6 to host a development environemtn, but I really don't have much expertise with it.

    My backup contains all of the files listed below. Due to an error on my part, the VMX is missing. I'm trying to figure out how I can create a new virtual server using these files, or at least get at the data.

    I've tried FILE / MAP against every disk file, and each one reports: "Error reading volumn information. Please select another disk file."

    I've also tried creating a new virtual machine using an existing disk, and that didn't work either.

    Any advice?

    Thank you
    Sincerely, Jay


    02/20/2008 10:41 PM 536,870,912 564d72fd-6ac5-e3e8-6c05-af8d0e1e8e63.vmem
    06/16/2008 10:37 AM 53,608 vmware-0.log
    06/13/2008 08:58 AM 53,484 vmware-1.log
    06/01/2008 12:01 AM 54,377 vmware-2.log
    06/16/2008 10:47 AM 53,693 vmware.log
    06/06/2008 09:47 AM 8,692,826,112 Windows XP Professional-000001.vmdk
    01/17/2008 01:30 AM 1,909,325,824 Windows XP Professional-000002.vmdk
    06/06/2008 09:48 AM 1,332,609,024 Windows XP Professional-000003.vmdk
    06/06/2008 09:48 AM 13,756,399,616 Windows XP Professional-000004.vmdk
    01/27/2008 01:46 PM 1,770,192,896 Windows XP Professional-000005.vmdk
    01/31/2008 08:35 AM 1,648,295,936 Windows XP Professional-000006.vmdk
    02/05/2008 11:00 PM 1,483,931,648 Windows XP Professional-000007.vmdk
    06/16/2008 10:47 AM 2,423,259,136 Windows XP Professional-000008.vmdk

  • #2
    Re: Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

    Hi, no worries. Losing the .vmx file isn't that large of a deal as long as you know roughly what settings were in there, it can be re-created. All you need to do in VMware Workstation is to create a new VM in the same folder as the old one. Once again, you'll specify the virtual CPUs, memory, network configuration, etc. Now when it comes time to add disks, don't create a new disk. You're going to add 8 existing disks and point to the pre-existing disks in order from 1 through 8 as it looks like that is how they were originally created (or is it one disk in 8 split format? I didn't see a disk descripter file in there anywhere).

    Let us know how it turns out.
    Attached Files
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

      Hello

      Thanks for the fast response.

      I did as you suggested. As soon as I select that folder, it warns me that there's already a VM in that folder, which I thought was good sign.

      I select the first disk (#0), and click finish. Nothing happens. Its like I didn't click the button at all. I tried each disk indivdually, but no luck. I can hit FINISH as many times as I want, and it doesn't acknowledge it. The PREVIOUS and BROWSE buttons continue to work.

      I never made an effort to make multiple disks, so I guess it spanned on its own (or they're snapshots?).

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

        Originally posted by jayawe View Post
        Hello

        Thanks for the fast response.

        I did as you suggested. As soon as I select that folder, it warns me that there's already a VM in that folder, which I thought was good sign.

        I select the first disk (#0), and click finish. Nothing happens. Its like I didn't click the button at all. I tried each disk indivdually, but no luck. I can hit FINISH as many times as I want, and it doesn't acknowledge it. The PREVIOUS and BROWSE buttons continue to work.

        I never made an effort to make multiple disks, so I guess it spanned on its own (or they're snapshots?).
        No, those aren't snapshots based on the file names. It sounds like these are members of a split disk and you have deleted your disk descriptor file. In that case, you're going to need the disk descriptor file. Do you remember exactly how large of a virtual disk you had created for your VM? ie. 8GB? 16GB?

        Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

          I believe it was 30 gigs, which seems to be roughly the sum of the parts. I'll start googling the disk descriptor file, but will check back here for addtional help.

          I have the log files, so maybe there's some related info in there.

          Thanks again

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

            Well I was going to see if I could build you a new disk descriptor file that you could use. I'm afraid without it you won't be able to recover the information on that virtual disk. It's pretty silly because the disk descriptor file is simply a text file with some information about the disk geometry as well as the names and locations of all the other split disks.

            Why don't you try building a dummy VM with a 30GB virtula disk in split disk format. Then go take a look at the disk descriptor file and see if you can "borrow it" for the recovery of your VM.

            Jas
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

              Originally posted by jayawe View Post
              Greetings

              Workstation 6.05 build 109488

              I use VMWare 6 to host a development environemtn, but I really don't have much expertise with it.

              My backup contains all of the files listed below. Due to an error on my part, the VMX is missing. I'm trying to figure out how I can create a new virtual server using these files, or at least get at the data.

              I've tried FILE / MAP against every disk file, and each one reports: "Error reading volumn information. Please select another disk file."

              I've also tried creating a new virtual machine using an existing disk, and that didn't work either.

              Any advice?

              Thank you
              Sincerely, Jay


              02/20/2008 10:41 PM 536,870,912 564d72fd-6ac5-e3e8-6c05-af8d0e1e8e63.vmem
              06/16/2008 10:37 AM 53,608 vmware-0.log
              06/13/2008 08:58 AM 53,484 vmware-1.log
              06/01/2008 12:01 AM 54,377 vmware-2.log
              06/16/2008 10:47 AM 53,693 vmware.log
              06/06/2008 09:47 AM 8,692,826,112 Windows XP Professional-000001.vmdk
              01/17/2008 01:30 AM 1,909,325,824 Windows XP Professional-000002.vmdk
              06/06/2008 09:48 AM 1,332,609,024 Windows XP Professional-000003.vmdk
              06/06/2008 09:48 AM 13,756,399,616 Windows XP Professional-000004.vmdk
              01/27/2008 01:46 PM 1,770,192,896 Windows XP Professional-000005.vmdk
              01/31/2008 08:35 AM 1,648,295,936 Windows XP Professional-000006.vmdk
              02/05/2008 11:00 PM 1,483,931,648 Windows XP Professional-000007.vmdk
              06/16/2008 10:47 AM 2,423,259,136 Windows XP Professional-000008.vmdk
              After closer look, two things that don't quite jive with the split disk theory:
              1) Split disks are usually split in 2GB or less chunks with the purpose being so that they can be placed on a FAT partition. Two of your files above are well over 2GB in size.
              2) When a vmdk virtual disk is in use, it gets tagged with the date/time stamp of the last time it was written to. I would have expected all of your disk files above to have roughly the same date/time stamp. Not only are some of the times off, but the dates are radically off too by many months. Is there any way you might be able to explain this? Was your VM seldomly used? I suppose it is remotely possible that in the split format, not all the pieces of the disk are written to each time a write occurs unless the write happens in or near that part of the disk. I just find it hard to believe you could be running this VM for many months without certain parts of the disk getting written to and updated.
              Last edited by jasonboche; 13th September 2008, 22:07.
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

                Hello

                I really can't explain it. The 30 gigs is due to a large database I develop against. I just installed the VM and started using it. I did take several snapshots along the way. I backed up the entire folder, though my problem is that other stuff appears to be elsewhere. I never made a conscious effort to split the disk or anyting. (As I said, I'm barely functional with VMWare. I installed it and started working.)

                I looked in the latest log file, and found this which looks relevant. It reports the disk size as 30720

                May 31 23:54:27.015: vmx| VMXVmdb_LoadRawConfig: Loading raw config
                May 31 23:54:27.015: vmx| DISK: OPEN ide0:0 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional-000008.vmdk' persistent R[(null)]
                May 31 23:54:27.234: vmx| DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened [0]: "Windows XP Professional-000008.vmdk" (0xa)
                May 31 23:54:27.234: vmx| DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional-000008.vmdk' (0xa): monolithicSparse, 62914560 sectors / 30720 Mb.
                May 31 23:54:27.281: vmx| DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened [0]: "Windows XP Professional-000007.vmdk" (0xe)
                May 31 23:54:27.281: vmx| DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional-000007.vmdk' (0xe): monolithicSparse, 62914560 sectors / 30720 Mb.
                May 31 23:54:27.328: vmx| DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened [0]: "Windows XP Professional-000006.vmdk" (0xe)
                May 31 23:54:27.343: vmx| DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional-000006.vmdk' (0xe): monolithicSparse, 62914560 sectors / 30720 Mb.
                May 31 23:54:27.406: vmx| DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened [0]: "Windows XP Professional-000005.vmdk" (0xe)
                May 31 23:54:27.406: vmx| DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional-000005.vmdk' (0xe): monolithicSparse, 62914560 sectors / 30720 Mb.
                May 31 23:54:27.468: vmx| DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened [0]: "Windows XP Professional-000004.vmdk" (0xe)
                May 31 23:54:27.468: vmx| DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional-000004.vmdk' (0xe): monolithicSparse, 62914560 sectors / 30720 Mb.
                May 31 23:54:27.531: vmx| DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened [0]: "Windows XP Professional-000003.vmdk" (0xe)
                May 31 23:54:27.531: vmx| DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional-000003.vmdk' (0xe): monolithicSparse, 62914560 sectors / 30720 Mb.
                May 31 23:54:27.578: vmx| DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened [0]: "Windows XP Professional-000002.vmdk" (0xe)
                May 31 23:54:27.578: vmx| DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional-000002.vmdk' (0xe): monolithicSparse, 62914560 sectors / 30720 Mb.
                May 31 23:54:27.625: vmx| DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened [0]: "Windows XP Professional-000001.vmdk" (0xe)
                May 31 23:54:27.625: vmx| DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional-000001.vmdk' (0xe): monolithicSparse, 62914560 sectors / 30720 Mb.
                May 31 23:54:27.640: vmx| DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened [0]: "Windows XP Professional-flat.vmdk" 0 (0xe)
                May 31 23:54:27.640: vmx| DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional.vmdk' (0xe): monolithicFlat, 62914560 sectors / 30720 Mb.
                May 31 23:54:27.640: vmx| DISKLIB-LIB : Opened "C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional-000008.vmdk" (flags 0xa). 1627184
                May 31 23:54:27.640: vmx| DiskGetGeometry: Reading of disk partition table
                May 31 23:54:27.671: vmx| DISK: OPEN 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional-000008.vmdk' Geo (16383/16/63) BIOS Geo (3916/255/63) freeSpace=7688Mb, ide
                May 31 23:54:27.671: vmx| Msg_Reset:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

                  Incidentally: I haven't used this VM in a long time. I used it a lot until the beginnning of the year, then fired it up maybe once or twice since. It looks like the last time was probably June 6th. At the time, that was just to look at a couple things; i didn't do a lot of work.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

                    Originally posted by jayawe View Post
                    May 31 23:54:27.640: vmx| DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened [0]: "Windows XP Professional-flat.vmdk" 0 (0xe)
                    May 31 23:54:27.640: vmx| DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'C:\personal\JTS\VM\Windows XP Professional.vmdk' (0xe): monolithicFlat, 62914560 sectors / 30720 Mb.
                    Things just got a bit nastier. In addition to the .VMX file, you're actually missing two of your virtual disk files referenced above.

                    Windows XP Professional-flat.vmdk
                    Windows XP Professional.vmdk

                    Based on VMware disk creation behavior, Windows XP Professional.vmdk would have ben the disk descriptor file, however, Windows XP Professional-flat.vmdk would have been another piece of your virtual disk and it would have been significantly sized. The fact that you seem to be missing this flat file as well will doom your recovery efforts.
                    Last edited by jasonboche; 13th September 2008, 22:24.
                    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

                      Ah, the cold hard truth. I don't know how those files were lost unless they were in a different folder. I'm going to have to revisit my backup strategies to see what went wrong here.

                      Thank you for your help. I'll start rebuilding.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Lost VMX, but have virtual disks

                        Is there any possibility you had an additional virtual disk in this VM at one time but legitimately deleted it from the VM configuration after that log file was generated that you posted?
                        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X