Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapshot Error - Urgent!!

Hi,

I have an SBs 2003 server running as a guset on VMWare Server 1.05. I accidently hit the revert to snapshot while the virtual machine was shutdown and thankfully (I hope) VM ware gave me a warning about the snapshot being created with a different CPU, do I want to contine restoring? I hit no, but when I try and power up the machine I get the same message. How can I can this restore and get the machine powered up again?

Thanks in advance

Neil

Re: Snapshot Error - Urgent!!

Originally posted by njdouglas View Post
    Hi,

I have an SBs 2003 server running as a guset on VMWare Server 1.05. I accidently hit the revert to snapshot while the virtual machine was shutdown and thankfully (I hope) VM ware gave me a warning about the snapshot being created with a different CPU, do I want to contine restoring? I hit no, but when I try and power up the machine I get the same message. How can I can this restore and get the machine powered up again?

Thanks in advance

Neil
    Please post a screenshot of the error message. I'm not familiar with what you're describing.

Posting a directory contents of your VM lives will also help determine the status of your snapshot(s)

Thanks,
    Jas
    Last edited by jasonboche; 12th September 2008, 16:36.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hi,

OK when I turn on the VM I get this the first error on the attachment, then straight away I get the second error message.

Thanks

Neil

Attached Files

Comment

It sounds like you snapped this VM hot which I never recommend. I always recommend shutting down the VM before snapshotting it.

Please see the following thread, it should provide you the help that you need:
        http://communities.vmware.com/message/309057?tstart=0

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

The snapshot was taken some time ago so I can't say how the snapshot was taken but the VM was probaly running at the time. When I attempted to revert the machine was shutdown but I do not want to revert, I simply clicked the revert snapshot option by accident. The link doesn't tell me know to stop revert process. The VMX file's final two lines suggest it telling the system to revert. Can I simply delete these two lines? I'm currently copying the whole VM as a backup before I start.

Comment

The snapshot was taken some time ago so I can't say how the snapshot was taken but the VM was probaly running at the time.
            This is neither here nor there but why would you be running so long in snapshot mode? Are you aware that the longer you run in snapshot mode, the higher the risk of corruption and degrading performance? Snapshot mode should be a controlled environment with a defined endpoint. It's not something you stay in indefinitely.

When I attempted to revert the machine was shutdown but I do not want to revert, I simply clicked the revert snapshot option by accident. The link doesn't tell me know to stop revert process.
            When you clicked Revert Snapshot, did VMware not warn you what you were about to do and request that you confirm the action?

Unfortunately I do not know how to stop the revert process either. I suggest contacting VMware support or try the VMware community forums - someone there might have an idea. Is this a production server? What is your timeline on getting this server back up? Do you have nightly backups?

The VMX file's final two lines suggest it telling the system to revert. Can I simply delete these two lines?
            Again, I'm not sure. Might proove as a good experiment for you to try once you have your VM backed up.

I'm currently copying the whole VM as a backup before I start.
            Very good idea!

Jas

Comment

Mmmm I wasn;t aware of that! However stable door and horse bolting come to mind! I had a very old copy of the vm and modified the vmx file to look like one on mymachine. I get the same error. After the backup finishes I'll delete the two lines in the vmx file and hope for the best!

Comment

Working...
              X