IP ADDRESS CHANGE OF VM Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP ADDRESS CHANGE OF VM Server

We HAVE 2 vmware esx server machines. We are moving them out of our current location to another location that will have a new IP address subnet.

Where do i go in the ESX SVR to update the network settings for the new subnet?

Is there any addition information that i should be aware of?

Many thanks in advance

Re: IP ADDRESS CHANGE OF VM Server

It depends on what version of ESX you have.

What version of ESX do you have?
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Omg!!! So Sorry.... Esx 3.5

Comment

1. Use the Virtual Infrastructure Client (VIC) to connect to the ESX host.
        2. Place the host in maintenance mode.
        3. Highlight the host in the left window pane, then click on the Configuration tab in the right window pane.
        4. Click on Networking menu option under the Hardware heading.
        5. Make all changes necessary to configured networks: Service Console Port, and any ports used for VMotion, VMs, and/or swISCSI/NFS.
        6. Some things to keep in mind:
        -When you change the IP address configuration of the Service Console Port, you're going to immediately lose network connectivity to the ESX host, so change this one last.
        -When you change the IP address of VMKernel NICs for swISCSI or NFS, the ESX host is going to lose connectivity to external storage, therefore, shut down all your VMs first.
        -When you change VLAN information on your VM networks, VMs will lose network connectivity so again, shut down your VMs before making these changes.
        -If your iSCSI storage is getting a change in IP address, you'll need to reconfigure iSCSI on each ESX host.
        Attached Files
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

I was looking for exactly this information, I love it when search comes though with what I need. Thanks, jasonboche!

On a similar topic, if the ESX 3.5 host is using DHCP (I had no idea which static IPs were available on this site when I set it up.) how can I get it to refresh the IP from the command line? It had booted before the DHCP server was available so it's now sporting an IP of 0.0.0.0. I want to log in locally and get it to refresh that and pick up a proper IP.

Thanks,

-Travis

Comment

Glad you found help here!

Could you first clarify if you are running ESX or ESXi? Different method for each product.

Comment

Ah, sorry about that: ESX 3.5. Non-i

Thanks!

-Travis

Comment

In ESXi, the IP lease is renewed via the menu driven console.

In ESX, the IP lease can be renewed by issuing two commands locally in the service console:
                ifdown vswif0
                ifup vswif0

Comment

Excellent!

Thanks again!

Comment

I thought it made a good blog article. Hope you don't mind.

http://www.boche.net/blog/?p=249

Comment

Great idea, I appreciate that the info is out there now.

When I got to this location, I had no documentation for anything so I had no idea what IP addresses were available. Because of this, I simply let it use DHCP to get started. In my rush, I then borg'd the DHCP server. Oops. Now that ESX host comes up 0.0.0.0 obviously.

I will set it to static now, but I needed to get an IP onto it so that I could connect to it in the mean time.

Thanks again,

-Travis

Comment

Almost there!

We've added a second Service Console and connected to it. We then change the IP address for the original Service Console from dynamic to static. When it attempts to apply the change, it produces the error: "The resource is in use."

Same results in Maintenance Mode.

So close...

-Travis

Comment

Is the IP address already in use before trying to change from dynamic to static? Try pinging the IP address before making the change and see if you get a response.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                            Is the IP address already in use before trying to change from dynamic to static? Try pinging the IP address before making the change and see if you get a response.
                            A good thought. We did check that however and it's a free IP. Oddly, one of the boxes let us change the IP after it sat at the config screen for a while.

Haven't been able to trick the other one into doing it yet.

-Travis

Comment

Working...
                            X