Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a game in VMWare

I recently reinstalled my copy of: VMware Workstation

I am trying to run a game called Shaiya on Windows XP Professional.

It does not work, it loads the game and then freezes with the graphics all messed up, then the operating system crashes and reboots.

Anyway i can make this game run?

Game Requirements:

Windows XP or Vista 32
    Intel Pentium 4 class processor or AMD Athlon XP, at 1.5 GHz or faster
    GeForce FX class or ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB of dedicated VRAM or better
    512MB of RAM or more
    16-bit, DirectX compliant sound card
    9.0c or better
    Last edited by YourGreatestMember; 6th September 2008, 17:41.

Re: Running a game in VMWare

Originally posted by YourGreatestMember View Post
    Game Requirements:

Windows XP or Vista 32
    Intel Pentium 4 class processor or AMD Athlon XP, at 1.5 GHz or faster
    GeForce FX class or ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB of dedicated VRAM or better
    512MB of RAM or more
    16-bit, DirectX compliant sound card
    9.0c or better
    Your virtual machine doesn't have a GeFoce FX class or ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB of RAM or better. It may not have Direct X either.

Running games with semi-modern hardware requirements isn't really the forte of VMware virtualization although you may get some to run properly or with issues (ie. no sound, speed issues, freezing, etc.)
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I have a gfx card capeable of running the game, i can run it fine on my normal operating system. Just can't get it to work vmware, i think it has something to do with direct x

Comment

I have a gfx card capeable of running the game, i can run it fine on my normal operating system. Just can't get it to work vmware, i think it has something to do with direct x
        Allow me to reiterate: In VMware you don't have a high end graphics card. You have a virtualized generic SVGA adapter.
        Attached Files
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
          Allow me to reiterate: In VMware you don't have a high end graphics card. You have a virtualized generic SVGA adapter.
          I have enough for the game to run, it says i got 256mb

Comment

I have enough for the game to run, it says i got 256mb
            I don't think you are hearing what I am trying to explain so let's attack it from this angle:

What does dxdiag.exe say about your virtual video card hardware inside the VM? Compare yours to a Windows XP VM I have running. Notice Direct3d Acceleration and AGP Texture Acceleration is not available because the virtualized video card hardware is generic and not meant for advanced gaming engines with excessive GPU requirements.
            Attached Files

Comment

AGP Texture Accelerator was the only one not avalible.

When i ran "Test Direct3D" the first two tests: DirectDraw and Direct3D 7 and 8 were all fine

But: Direct3D 9 was very "flashy" didn't work like its supposed to.[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Ryan/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

I don't think you're getting it. VMWare doesn't have the capability to emulate (and it would have to emulate) a high-end graphics card. It cannot use the drivers in the Host OS because the two OS's have to remain divorced from each other completely. It can only use whatever hardware is available to emulate a standard SVGA graphics card within the Guest OS. So you're never going to be able to play high end games in a VM.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

there was a rumour of VMware WS getting accelerated v-vga card in the next version, but I haven't tried it (not a gaming type)
                  ________
                  TOYOTA MOTOR ENGINEERING & MANUFACTURING NORTH AMERICA SPECIFICATIONS
                  Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:29.
                  Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
                  X