change esxi datastore block size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change esxi datastore block size

Is it possible to change the block size of an ESXI datastore w/o reformatting? I built the datastore and accepted the defaults, not realizing the 250g limitation. I need to create a VM with a 800gig data drive and would like to change the block size fom 1mb to 4mb w/o having to rebuild the datastre.

Re: change esxi datastore block size

Originally posted by rpcblast View Post
    Is it possible to change the block size of an ESXI datastore w/o reformatting? I built the datastore and accepted the defaults, not realizing the 250g limitation. I need to create a VM with a 800gig data drive and would like to change the block size fom 1mb to 4mb w/o having to rebuild the datastre.
    You can't change the block size of the data store without wiping the contents of the data store. Back up your data, destroy your data store, and re-create your data store with at least a 4MB block size.

Maximum file size limit table as it relates to data store block size:

Block size File size limit
    1MB 256MB
    2MB 512MB
    4MB 1TB
    8MB 2TB
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I was afraid of that. Thank you very much. Guess Ill know for next time. At least the OS is on a seperate raid 1 array so i wont have to totally redo everything

Comment

When I installed ESXi, I didn't see any options to change the block size. Am I missing something here?

Comment

ESX doesn't ask you for a block size if you let it auto partition and auto create a VMFS partition during the initial installation.

The only way to specify a block size is during the manual creation of a VMFS volume through the VIC or vmkfstools command.

So... back up your VMs, delete your auto created VMFS volume, and re-create it. Then you can specify block size.

Jas
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X