Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VMware Converter - Administrator login needed to VC server ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Converter - Administrator login needed to VC server ?

I am trying to allow students to use VMware converter to get familiar with creating vm's this way. I am having them select Other and they are selecting an XP image. When they get to the screen to select a Virtual Centre server,
    the accounts they have do not allow them to create the vm, it says they need Adminisitrator priviledges. Currently, they only have local accounts on the VC server to do basic stuff.

Is there a way to grant them rights to create the VM this way instead of giving them Admin credentials ?

Thanks to all...

Re: VMware Converter - Administrator login needed to VC server ?

Ultimately, you must grant the user's the necessary permissions in the VirtualCenter infrastructure to run through a migration process. I do not know precisely what all the permissions are that are required for this so you'll have to go through some trial and error if you do not want your students to have full Administrator level permissions. I'd start with using several of the pre-defined roles in VirtualCenter such as "Virtual Machine Administrator". They are going to need permissions such as creating a VM, adding a VM to resource pools, assigning a VM to datastores and virtual networks, etc.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for your help.
      I might have misled you...it seems like it is looking for Administrator rights to the VC server itself, not VMWARE permissions.
      When I use local admin and password, it works as expected.
      I dont think this has anything to do with VMWARE permssions.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Ther permissions on the VC are Vmware permissions.

They can be allocated to Active directory users (if your VC is a member server) or local users on the VC server (if it is a standalone machine).
        Maish
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Remember the Microsoft AGLP model for permissions?

Here's the VMware Virtual Infrastructure version:

Local Server/Active Directory Users/Groups --> VirtualCenter Roles --> Virtual Infrastructure Resources
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X