Will useNamedFile = "False" work on ESX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will useNamedFile = "False" work on ESX

I'm trying to reduce disk IO on my Exchange VM and I ran across a ton of posts stating that putting the useNamedFile entry into the .vmx file will for Windows to use the swap instead of on the shared storage where the VM resides will help immensely. Does this setting only apply to the free version or does it work with ESX?

Re: Will useNamedFile = "False" work on ESX

I'm having difficulty deciphering your sentence. Force Windows to use what swap instead of what on the shared storage?
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Let me see I f can decipher...

putting the useNamedFile entry into the .vmx file will for Windows to use the swap instead of on the shared storage where the VM resides will help immensely
      putting the useNamedFile entry into the .vmx file will cause the Windows VM to use its own swap file (pagefile.sys) instead of on the shared storage (the vswap file) where the VM resides

And no I have not seen this mentioned anywhere with ESX only Workstation or server - so I do not think this is relevant for ESX
      Maish
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

VMKernel swap is the last resort of memory over commitment to be used meaning it has the largest impact on VM guest performance.

If you're overcommiting on memory, perhaps do you have a little more physical RAM to spare for your guest VM rather than swapping in either location or using ballooning?
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X