Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi Server - Dell GX755 Guest OS issue

Hi All,

I'm working with a Dell GX755 and ESXi (update2).

My Problem, and I'm wondering if any of you out there are having the same issues with either the same Dell hardware or otherwise??

I got ESXi installed and I've actually got a few Fedora9 system installed & running. (yes, i know the GX755 is not on the HCL for ESXi 3.5 Update2) but
    it's working great!

When I create a new VM for Windows XP (32bit) and proceed to boot the .ISO
    or XP SP2 PRO CD-ROM from my client (using connect my local CD), the installation progresses until XP install get to the disk provisioning aspect and it says there are no hard drives on the system to install XP!!

Now, why XP has this issue and Linux is ok, is an entirely separate flame mail... but, that aside, really.. has anyone run up against this and knows a way around?

I've spent hours up and down the VMWare support site for ESXi (gack) and cannot find anything. I'm actually more impressed but the knowledge expresses here than their "community" So.. anyone??

Thanks!
    Jason

Re: ESXi Server - Dell GX755 Guest OS issue

You need to download the LSILogic controller driver to use with Windows XP. Once you have the drivers on a diskette, you boot from the XP CD-ROM and hit F6 when it asks you if you have any drivers to supply for mass storage devices.

This question is somewhat common but I have trouble remembering the specific LSILogic model number that you have to download the drivers for, so I simply host the correct drivers on my website where you can download from:

http://www.boche.net/dropbox/lsidrivers/

Since this is a knowledgebase, I took the high road and identified the LSILogic controller that is virtualized in VMware and the model number is LSI20320. For future reference.
    Last edited by jasonboche; 25th August 2008, 16:08. Reason: Added the LSILogic model number
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
      You need to download the LSILogic controller driver to use with Windows XP. Once you have the drivers on a diskette, you boot from the XP CD-ROM and hit F6 when it asks you if you have any drivers to supply for mass storage devices.
      That's so weird.. Is this specific to ESXi? I believe you to be right.. makes sense.

I use Server, Workstation6, ESX Servers with Virtual Center 3 all at my place of work and have never needed to F6 on an XP install... That's what I never thought I'd have to do this with and ESXi Install..

I will give it a run and see if that the fix and let you know!

Thanks for the insight! And the URL too!
      Jason

Comment

I had the same problem the other night using workstation on my linux box. I chose IDE instead of SCSI for the hard drive to solve the problem...but now that I know this it will be helpful and probably make my VM faster.

Although...I don't have a floppy disk/drive...

Thanks jasonboche.

Comment

I just made a virtual floppy with "WinImage" so I should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ekrengel View Post
            I had the same problem the other night using workstation on my linux box. I chose IDE instead of SCSI for the hard drive to solve the problem...but now that I know this it will be helpful and probably make my VM faster.

Although...I don't have a floppy disk/drive...

Thanks jasonboche.
            You cannot create virtual IDE drives on ESX platforms. SCSI only. That's where the LSILogic driver comes in. LSILogic is the perferred/default virtualized SCSI host bus adapter for XP and Windows 2003 disks.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

OK, so i figured it out...

When a new VM is provisioned the default SCSI Controller Type = BusLogic.
              I changed the Type to LSI Logic and Presto - It Worked! I actually didn't
              need to download the drive posted in the previous post.

Thank you all for the support!

Comment

Glad you sorted it out!!
                Maish
                ----------------------------------------------------------
                Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                ----------------------------------------------------------
                If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Here is the official VMware KB article regarding this issue:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1000863

Comment

Working...
                  X