ESXi install problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi install problem

Hi My name is Bruce, I am new to this site. I have been toying with workstation for a while now, and want to set up virutal servaers to support my home network and learn while doing.

I am trying to install ESXi on my custom desktop. Tyan motherboard, SMP Athlon MP 2ooom processors, 1 g of RAM one 32G SCSI HDD one 9G SCSI HDD (with vm images).

My problem is my system will freeze half way thru the yellow screen during install. Is there various boot switches I could try? I tried no acpi to no avail.

Thanks

Bruce

Re: ESXi install problem

I think you might just find it isn't possible. ESX/ESXi is finicky about the hardware it will install on. If it isn't listed on VMWare's HCL, you may be out of luck. Good luck on finding a solution though.
    blog.techscrawl.com

Comment

Good morning Bruce,

ESXi operates on strict hardware requirement guidelines which I'm guessing your "whitebox" does not meet. Fortunately, through the courageous battles of many over the years, the installation of ESX on whitebox hardware isn't a territory that is as uncharted as it was in the beginning. You may be able to find out whether or not your whitebox components are compatible with ESXi (and/or ESX) by checking the following thread where I've listed a few community supported hardware lists:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=27001

Just as an FYI, the official ESXi hardware compatibility list is currently more restrictive than the ESX HCL. As time passes, it is expected that the two HCLs will become much closer to one another in terms of what is supported. They may even merge, who knows.

Jas
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks, I guess I will head another direction, or save up for the right hardware.
        Bruce

Comment

Working...
        X