Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware and compatibility with game

Hello everyone =)

First post from me here and probably a very noobish one but im really no expert in Vmware so I could use some help.
    I have VMware workstation 6 running on Windows XP pro. My main pc is running under Windows XP home edition.
    VMware is running smoothly, I have a good machine and its not laggy at all.
    I also have enabled 3D acceleration, installed DirextX and SP2 on the VMware machine.

My problem is, and it might sound silly to you, but still is a problem to me that I cannot run a specific mmorpg game in my VMware machine.
    The game was installed nicely, did all the updates, but when i try to log in a little pop message appears saying : "Canot run in VMware!"
    Is there a patch for this, or some setting I need to do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance =]
    Attached Files

Re: VMware and compatibility with game

It sounds like your game is VMware hypervisor aware and for some reason the manufacturer of the software does not allow running the game inside VMware. Maybe there are compatibility issues. To answer the question WHY you would need to talk to the game vendor. It's their dialogue box and their code that has put forth the restriction.

An interesting side discussion might be how does their software detect that it is running on a VMware hypervisor? The programmers have keyed in on something and if I had to guess, their software looks for the existence of VMware tools which are present in your virtual machine.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
      It sounds like your game is VMware hypervisor aware and for some reason the manufacturer of the software does not allow running the game inside VMware.
      Hmm. I think that the error screenie is from the VM machine not the game itself..
      Not sure tho.. So maybe its some sort of setting I need to adjust =\

Anyways, thank you for your reply =))

Comment

That's not a VMware dialogue box.

Telltale signs I used as my basis:

1) The error message is not a proper sentence. VMware is an American company and generally does not produce output with improper English/grammar, and to boot exclaimation marks are used to end the improper sentence. Not the style of a professional American company. Although I grant you I have seen some error messages from American companies with some awfully illogical error messages, I don't think it's the same in this case though.

2) In the error, the product/company name is displayed as "VMWare". VMware represents itself as "VMware" with no variations. Notice the case sensitivity of the W.

3) The titlebox shows OZ World (likely with a process ID that would tie back to the OZ World executable) not VMware.
        Last edited by jasonboche; 20th August 2008, 15:28.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X