VMware releases free Disaster Recovery / BCP book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware releases free Disaster Recovery / BCP book

VMware has begun releasing free publications called "VMbooks". To me they sound similar to IBM's series of Redbooks.

The first release is available and is called A Practical Guide to Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery with VMware Infrastructure 3. It is the work of four authors along with collaboration with several other industry experts.

At 232 pages it's a nice size. Its contents will apply to many environments. The book features hardware and software solutions from:
    AMD
    Cisco
    Dell
    Emulex
    Intel
    NetApp
    Sun Microsystems

Here is the table of contents:
    Chapter 1: Introduction
    Chapter 2: Understanding and Planning for BCDR
    Chapter 3: Virtualization and BCDR
    Chapter 4: High-Level Design Considerations
    Chapter 5: Implementing a VMware BCDR Solution
    Chapter 6: Advanced and Alternative Solutions
    Chapter 7: Service Failover and Failback Planning
    Chapter 8: Service Failover Testing
    Chapter 9: Network Infrastructure Details
    Chapter 10: Storage Connectivity
    Chapter 11: Storage Platform Details
    Chapter 12: Server Platform Details
    Appendix A: BCDR Failover Script
    Appendix B: VMware Tools Script
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Re: VMware releases free Disaster Recovery / BCP book

Just finished it..

Well written, extremely informative, but highly hardware specific examples make a challenge to port it to non NetAPP hardware.

Also find it strange that all of this is done in PERL, seeing that VMware (and the whole world) is moving in the direction of Powershell.

I actually think that most of the scripts could be done with more ease in Powershell...
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Perl script has a solid foundation. Especially within VMware where Perl is a legacy scripting language that has been supported and included in VMware products for many years. While much of society are gradually moving the direction of Powershell and recently VMware offers a Powershell kit, the world isn't quite there yet and probably not all of the world will adopt and go that direction. That said, a few years down the road once Powershell is main stream, Perl will still be around. I don't think Perl is going away any time soon.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

powershell and perl are completely different things. and the world is NOT moving toward PS, microsoft is trying to force it upon everyone.
        but bash is much more useful as a shell scripting language, and python has all the functionality PS is only aiming at.
        and as for strictly scripting purposes, perl is the perfect language, be it on windows or any other OS.
        ________
        Vaporizer Wiki
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:21.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

I see that the reason that VMware actually created the VI Windows toolkit, is because their audience is moving towards many Microsoft shops, that mainly use Windows products - otherwise they would not have done that. I do know that many people do like VMware for this...

I do see a place for both technologies - Perl and PowerShell - but personally, I think that PowerShell is easier, and has a less steep learning curve.
          Maish
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

well, to me Perl looks much easier than PS - less OOP involved, looks more like a scripting and not programming language, and also the syntax is much easier to remember, shorter and more intuitively understandable commands
            ________
            VAPORGENIE
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:21.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
              I see that the reason that VMware actually created the VI Windows toolkit, is because their audience is moving towards many Microsoft shops, that mainly use Windows products - otherwise they would not have done that. I do know that many people do like VMware for this...
              VMware has been taking heat for being too Windows centric. For example, one common complaint is that VirtualCenter Server and Virtual Infrastructure client are Windows-only based. What if I don't have or want Windows in my shop? Where's the Linux support?

Comment

Working...
              X