X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum CPU supports VMware Server

hi,
    how much CPU does VMware Server supports
    i have HP DL380 G5 5345 with 16 Gb of RAM i wanna know if VMware Support 8 CPU or not.
    thx
    M3HDX
    ---------------
    MCSA/MCSE/MCTS
    Security+

Re: Maximum CPU supports VMware Server

I think it just supports 2?
    http://www.vmware.com/pdf/server_datasheet.pdf

• Experimental support for two-processor Virtual SMP™
    • Experimental support for Intel® Virtualization Technology

but I'm no expert.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by mehdix View Post
      hi,
      how much CPU does VMware Server supports
      i have HP DL380 G5 5345 with 16 Gb of RAM i wanna know if VMware Support 8 CPU or not.
      thx
      On the host side, VMware Server will support as many pCPUs as your guest OS supports.

On the guest side, VMware Server will support up to two vCPUs per guest.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
        On the host side, VMware Server will support as many pCPUs as your guest OS supports.

On the guest side, VMware Server will support up to two vCPUs per guest.
        thx alot
        M3HDX
        ---------------
        MCSA/MCSE/MCTS
        Security+

Comment

One additional note to keep in mind which doesn't apply to your hardware but I'd like you to be aware of it anyway, to utilize the vSMP feature within VMware virtualization products, your host must meet the minimal requirements. In a nutshell, your host must have as many lCPUs (logical CPUs) as the number of vCPUs you are using in a vSMP VM.

Simple example:
          Scenario: You want to create a vSMP VM with 2 vCPUs.
          Requirement: Your host must have at least 2 logical CPUs (which can be achieved in a few configurations: at least 2 single core processors, at least 1 dual core processor, at least 1 single core processor with HTT enabled)

Please send your friends to these forums. We need more VMware discussion around here.

Jas
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

One additional note to keep in mind which doesn't apply to your hardware but I'd like you to be aware of it anyway, to utilize the vSMP feature within VMware virtualization products, your host must meet the minimal requirements. In a nutshell, your host must have as many lCPUs (logical CPUs) as the number of vCPUs you are using in a vSMP VM.

Simple example:
            Scenario: You want to create a vSMP VM with 2 vCPUs.
            Requirement: Your host must have at least 2 logical CPUs (which can be achieved in a few configurations: at least 2 single core processors, at least 1 dual core processor, at least 1 single core processor with HTT enabled)

Please send your friends to these forums. We need more VMware discussion around here.

Jas
            thx for infos
            so in case when i have 8 LCPUs and 5 VMs in my Host machine then i can not dedicate 2 CPUs on VM setting to each one of my VMs.
            is that right?
            M3HDX
            ---------------
            MCSA/MCSE/MCTS
            Security+

Comment

Originally posted by mehdix View Post
              thx for infos
              so in case when i have 8 LCPUs and 5 VMs in my Host machine then i can not dedicate 2 CPUs on VM setting to each one of my VMs.
              is that right?
              You are not restricted to running just 1 vCPU on 1 lCPU. You can run multiple vCPUs on a single lCPU. So if you have 8lCPUs, you can run MANY VMs that are vSMP enabled - more than 4 but I don't remember what the limitation is for max number of vCPUs to lCPU. In ESX it's maximum 8 vCPUs can run on a single lCPU, however, the restriction I talked about is you can't run 2 vCPUs from the same VM on the same lCPU, which is why you'd need a minimum of 2 lCPUs to run a 2 vCPU VM.

Confused yet? LOL

Jas

Comment

You are not restricted to running just 1 vCPU on 1 lCPU. You can run multiple vCPUs on a single lCPU. So if you have 8lCPUs, you can run MANY VMs that are vSMP enabled - more than 4 but I don't remember what the limitation is for max number of vCPUs to lCPU. In ESX it's maximum 8 vCPUs can run on a single lCPU, however, the restriction I talked about is you can't run 2 vCPUs from the same VM on the same lCPU, which is why you'd need a minimum of 2 lCPUs to run a 2 vCPU VM.

Confused yet? LOL

Jas
                uhum i got it bro thx alot
                M3HDX
                ---------------
                MCSA/MCSE/MCTS
                Security+

Comment

Working...
                X