VMWare Server over internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare Server over internet

Is it possible to access a VMWare Server over the internet?

I've got a win2k3 DC setup with VMWare Server 1.0.6 installed and running properly. Several VMs on there at the moment just to test and accessing it all from my laptop on the same network.

I'm wondering if I setup port forwarding (I think that's what I need) on my router and point it towards the DC, will I then be able to connect to the VMs using the Server Console?

It's probably more complicated than that as I haven't set this network up to be accessed from anywhere but did for my network at my previous address.

Thanks

Re: VMWare Server over internet

Yes, as long as you have everything setup correctly. Remember that a VMWare server is a physical server in virtual form.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thankyou. Looks like I need to get my other router setup then, this Sky one isn't the most forthcoming for setting up anything lol

Comment

Originally posted by gotenks1321 View Post
        Is it possible to access a VMWare Server over the internet?

I'm wondering if I setup port forwarding (I think that's what I need) on my router and point it towards the DC, will I then be able to connect to the VMs using the Server Console?

It's probably more complicated than that as I haven't set this network up to be accessed from anywhere but did for my network at my previous address.
        You'll need to open and forward port 902 on your firewall/NAT to connect to the VMWare Server console remotely. You're not pointing it at your DC. You're pointing it at the Operating System which has VMware Server installed and is acting as the host for the guest VMs.

Thanks
        You're welcome.

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
          You'll need to open and forward port 902 on your firewall/NAT to connect to the VMWare Server console remotely. You're not pointing it at your DC. You're pointing it at the Operating System which has VMware Server installed and is acting as the host for the guest VMs.

You're welcome.

Jas
          Thankyou. I shall get that setup tonight hopefully and see how it goes

Rep'd again

Comment

Thankyou. I shall get that setup tonight hopefully and see how it goes

Rep'd again
            Sounds good - just be aware of the security vulnerability you are exposing your virtual infrastructure to. Not only will you be able to hit your VMware server console remotely, but so will I, and any other creep that wants to try to hack into your systems. This should be for proof of concept purposes only with no vulnerability provided to private data, credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc. Long term I would recommend something more secure involving VPN, 2 factor authentication, SSL, etc.

Jas
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

VPN would be nice to do but something that I have no idea about other that logging in to the works one

I do have a spare machine that I used to have setup as a router/firewall that I may use again. It was running a cutdown version on Linux I believe but can't remember the exact details. I'm not one to throw applications etc away so I'll have a look to see if I can find it again. It should do the trick as far as securities concerned The rest is getting it setup and working

EDIT: Smoothwall is the one I mean Found it looking at a few of the threads in the 2003 section
              Last edited by gotenks1321; 10th August 2008, 22:36.

Comment

Working...
              X