No announcement yet.

VMware Virtual Centre Server Database Migration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Virtual Centre Server Database Migration

I'm running VMware Virtual Centre Server 2.5 with the database for this running on a separate 2005 SQL box. This server had to be virtualized which now means the database is within the virtual environment which really isnít good for when problems arise with an ESX server for example.

I want to move the database onto another phyical machine but I've read people having problems with earlier versions and the passwords being embedded in the install. I know what the SQL username and password is so this will be the same on the new server.

Can this is a simple case of change the System ODBC to reflect the new server name and restarting the VMVC services?

Does anyone see any problem with this in this version of VCS?

Many thanks for your advice,

Re: VMware Virtual Centre Server Database Migration

You can look here:

and here

If you know all the passwords you should be ok
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Re: VMware Virtual Centre Server Database Migration

Thanks Maish, I have a backup VCS in the virtual environment so if all fails.

UPDATE: Tried it and worked fine kept the username and password the exact same no problems, update manager though needed signatures running again but other than that ok.
      Last edited by RobFuller; 7th August 2008, 15:12.