X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! cant get more that 16 colors on vmware virtual win98 machine

Further to to my post at
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=26391
    My XP SP3 PC has Nvida GeForce 6200 256MB.
    Yet vmware virtual win98 machine can only pick up "standard PCI graphics adapter " thus display is limited to 16 colors, i must have at least 16 bit high color to run my games.
    What can i do????

Re: Help! cant get more that 16 colors on vmware virtual win98 machine

Do NVidia do a Windows 98 Driver for this card (or one that would be compatible) in their archive? You may need to ask them for "special" support with this if you want it to work.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

have you installed the vmware tools for the virtual machine?
      Maish
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        Do NVidia do a Windows 98 Driver for this card (or one that would be compatible) in their archive? You may need to ask them for "special" support with this if you want it to work.
        YES
        I have a good win98 driver for this card. It insults windoze and causes it to go into safe mode and windoze cannot be brought out of of safe mode until Nvidia driver is removed and replaced by "standard PCI graphics adapter" which gives only 16 colors.

Originally posted by Maish View Post
        have you installed the vmware tools for the virtual machine?
        No I have not.
        Does vmware tools come with vmware server or is that an extra download?
        AND how should i use vmware tools to help me??

thx

Comment

The VMware tools id are the software packages that will enable the correct drivers for your OS.

VMware uses synthetic drivers for its "hardware" and has nothing really to do with your hardware underneath. That is why you will see the same hardware in each vm (NIC, Disk, Mobo, VGA, mouse)

In order to get the correct driver for your guest OS install VMware tools.

It is available for each VMware product ranging from WS to Server to ESX

From the toolbar choose VM install VMware tools and you will see a CD that will be mounted in you 98 OS. it should start the installation automatically, but if not then you can do it yourself
          reboot
          and voila you should have correct mouse/VGA/nic drivers for your guest VM
          Maish
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

The only hardware element not virtualized (for the most part) between host and VM is the CPU.

Install the VMware Tools and your problem will be solved.

Also maybe read the VMware instruction manuals a bit before going off the deep end. A wonderful world of virtualization awaits you.

Jas
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
              The VMware tools id are the software packages that will enable the correct drivers for your OS.

VMware uses synthetic drivers for its "hardware" and has nothing really to do with your hardware underneath. That is why you will see the same hardware in each vm (NIC, Disk, Mobo, VGA, mouse)

In order to get the correct driver for your guest OS install VMware tools.

It is available for each VMware product ranging from WS to Server to ESX

From the toolbar choose VM install VMware tools and you will see a CD that will be mounted in you 98 OS. it should start the installation automatically, but if not then you can do it yourself
              reboot
              and voila you should have correct mouse/VGA/nic drivers for your guest VM
              Hi Maish
              I Installed vmware tools which put in vmware SVGA II, it has 16 colors, 256 colors and true color (32 bit).
              It does not have high color (16 bit), also vmware SVGA II does not support Direct 3D, because of this my game wont play, the game says "no direct draw"
              I have installed directX.

Is there some way to get high color (16 bit) and Direct 3D enabled so i can play my game?

thx
              Last edited by snorg; 6th August 2008, 07:13.

Comment

Maybe with VMware workstation in the newer beta 6.5 version it might be possible, definitely not in the other versions
                Maish

Have a good one!!

Comment

Hi Snorg !
                  I got same problem on vmware 6.0.4, i can't play some games (pod gold, gex 3d...) cause it needs to be in 16 bits color and i only got 16 colors, 256 colors and 24 bits (with VMware Tools installed) and no directx support (with directx 8 installed) !
                  I'm searching the web for any compatible drivers got 16 bits mode (i am on geforce 8600 gts) but nothing at the moment

--
                  Loveful Heights
                  Last edited by B3RG3R; 19th August 2008, 19:16.

Comment

Hi !
                    I have download and try VMware 6.5, upgrade VMware tools, install directx 9.0c for win98 but nothing !
                    I got same choices in desktop properties (16 colours, 256 and 32 bits) and when i go to menu VM -> Settings -> Display and check "Accelerate 3D graphics (DirectX 9.0c)" i got black screen after boot (on desktop) !

Comment

Hi !
                      I got it, you just have to put your system host in 16 bit colours before to run VMware !
                      It works for me !

Comment

Wonderful! I hope that others can learn from what you have discovered.
                        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                        X