Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help to make vmware virtual win98 machine

need help to make vmware virtual win98 machine
    My OS is WindowsXP SP3, all hard drives are NTFS.
    I have vmware server.
    I want to make a win98 virtual machine.
    I put in a boot floppy it starts fine.
    The CD drive with the win98 install disk is shown to be C: drive
    I change directory to C:, type "setup" and hit enter

I get:
    Please wait while setup initializes.
    setup is now going to perform a routine check on your system.
    to continue, press enter.

I press enter i get:

scanning system registry...
    Cannot create a temporary directory.
    If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up windows.

Re: need help to make vmware virtual win98 machine

You haven't created a virtual hard drive to install Windows 98 onto or the drive you assigned isn't partitioned or formatted FAT16 FAT32. Create a partition on the drive you wish to install to and format it, then run setup.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I have created a fat32 partition, a logical drive.
      I run setup and the results are exactly the same as stated in my oringinal post.

Comment

Originally posted by snorg View Post
        I have created a fat32 partition, a logical drive.
        I run setup and the results are exactly the same as stated in my oringinal post.
        There's your problem right there. Windows can only boot from a PRIMARY partition.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          There's your problem right there. Windows can only boot from a PRIMARY partition.

Ok
          I will try it again with a fat32 primary.

Comment

You can use FDISK to do this - a long lost art not well known to newer generations who have been spoon-fed by Windows
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Ok
              I will try it again with a fat32 primary.
              Don't forget also that Windows 98SE was Microsoft's first true 32 bit capable OS - and even that didn't extend to the entire piece. This means that if you're trying to use a nice out-of-the-way piece of disk on a 160Gb volume, forget it - you need to keep your 98SE partition in the first 32Gb of disk *I think* - we're going back a long way here. It's because of the number of sectors the OS has to address.

I realise that you're talking about a virtual - so this probably doesn't apply - however the info may come in useful for someone else who's just doing a dual boot or whatever.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I have made 9Gb fat32 primary partition on a 55Gb hard drive.
                \virtual machines\windows 98\ is there.
                I am getting exactly the same results as in my original post.

.......Also the following is consistent with my original post..........
                I dont understand why C: drive is the CD, should not C: be the hard drive and D: be the CD??
                Any other drive letter i put in besides C: gets me "invalid drive specification"
                SO, in fact there is no hard drive present.

Comment

I dont understand why C: drive is the CD, should not C: be the hard drive and D: be the CD??
                  Any other drive letter i put in besides C: gets me "invalid drive specification"
                  SO, in fact there is no hard drive present.
                  All evidence points to the same issue: the installation routine can't see your hard drive partition C: therefore the CDROM gets the first drive letter available again, C:

For giggles, how about using a 2GB FAT16 partition instead?

Comment

Just for kicks... Is the disk in the Virtual machine - SCSI or IDE?

Don't know if windows 98 will recognize scsi ????
                    Maish
                    ----------------------------------------------------------
                    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
                      Just for kicks... Is the disk in the Virtual machine - SCSI or IDE?

Don't know if windows 98 will recognize scsi ????

IDE ATA (not sata)

Comment

SOLVED

Obviously doing this involves more BS than putting Win98 on a physical PC.
                        AND to complicate things, i have Win98SE UPGRADE CD.

Now normally with a "REAL" install i begin with a Win95 boot floppy which puts a Win95 command.com on C: drive, That way when loading Win98 SE upgrade it sees that, so then windoze figures everything is cool.
                        BUT the win95 floppy could not cut the mustard in this case, SO, i used win98 boot floppy AND THEN, finally i got a C: drive happening.
                        SO, i ended up having to install win95, THEN, when i put in Win98 SE upgrade CD, the install went easy as pie. EXCEPT, some gizmo named vnetsup.vxd was not installed WHICH the windoze registry was calling for was not installed, this error message about vnetsup.vxd popped up 4 times during install, i just said cancel, Win98 SE was successfully installed, but evey time it booted up i got error message about vnetsup.vxd, SO i ran regedit and searched for vnetsup.vxd, i found it in the reg and deleted it, now win98 boots fine.

The reason i want win98 is so i can run some old games that dont run rite in XP, so my next trip will be to see how said games run on virtual win98 SE PC.

I have 2Gb ram, default for virtual PC was 256Mb RAM, I have increased that to 750Mb RAM.
                        Thanks for you help.
                        I hope this will help some poor sap who faces the same situation.
                        Last edited by snorg; 5th August 2008, 08:25.

Comment

Happy you sorted it out..
                          Maish
                          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Obviously doing this involves more BS than putting Win98 on a physical PC.
                            It's BS because you weren't born with the necessary VMware intellect to figure this out the first go 'round? Swallow your pride. Reading the instruction manual would help. But I suppose this is one way for you to learn.

From what I'm reading, the entire underlying problem in this thread was Windows/procedure related and nothing to do with VMware or virtualization.

Comment

Working...
                            X