ESXI on HP dc7800p anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXI on HP dc7800p anyone?

I am trying to set up the new free ESXI on an HP 7800p. I understand that if the drives are set up as raid it might not work, which is understandable. However, almost every time I try to install, i get an error, cannot find valid writable media or something to that effect. The funny thing is a couple of times I got the install process to complete, but i got errors trying to boot in loading the ATA media driver or something like that. Has anyone gotten this to work on a 7800 or something with the same motherboard? Are there any tricks? I am using the latest download from VMware's website. I would really like to use ESXI instaed of having to install server 2003 and vmware server ontop of that.

Re: ESXI on HP dc7800p anyone?

I've never used a dc7800p. I gather this box isn't on the ESXi HCL. What type of array controller and disk subsystem does it have in it?

By the way just as an FYI, at the moment the ESXi HCL is more restrictive to certain hardware than the ESX HCL. In the future VMware is looking to bring both HCLs into alignment. This was discussed in yesterday's VMware Podcast which hasn't been posted yet on VMware's site but will soon within a day or two.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Also have a look at the following URL for an excellent collection of community supported whitebox configurations:

http://www.vm-help.com/Whitebox_HCL.php

Your dc7800 is referenced there and is specifically discussed in this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/883734#883734

hp dc 7800:

installs when you add an supported NIC to the system. Builtin NIC is NOT WORKING!

SATA drive is only detected as "hda" ->> NO VMFS support.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

I have tried a new NIC and had the same problem. I tried disablign the onboard NIC, as well SATA raid and IDE modes and no help. It has the intel Q35 chipset. Also, can anyone recomend a good cheap SATA raid controller that would work wtih this that will support 4 drives?

Comment

well i spoke too soon. I forgot that I had unplugged several of the motherboard SATA connections while troubleshooting earlier(im an idiot at times). I got it working using IDE mode I am now trying to see what I can do in raid mode.

Comment

Don't be hard on yourself. It's both fun and rewarding to discover dumb things, especially at someone else's expense . One time many years ago I was at a LAN gaming party and my friend had one of those power supplies in his computer with both male and female plug outlets on the back. The male outlet was of course for incoming A/C wall power. The female outlet (if you've seen these power supplies - they were more common in the old days before the ATX form factor) feeds power to the monitor with an A/C cord that is male on one end and female on the other end (I'm sure you've seen these cords at some point). If you've ever been to a LAN party, you know that there are a mess of cables going everywhere. My friend got his rig set up and it wouldn't power on. He went to the extents to check the wall power, the 6-strip he was plugged into, and the circuit breakers. He also re-seated the electrical cords plugged into the back of his power supply. He was really getting bummed out because he thought his computer was dead. Turns out he had the same male/female ended cable plugged into both the input and output of his power supply (think loopback connector for power supplies). It was hillarious to discover.

Jas

Comment

Another question. Is there an easy way to add a vm to inventory(or re add). I did not see that option when I right click the host under inventory. I can add and remove new VMs, but cannot figure out how to simply register a VM that is already there

Comment

In the Virtual Infrastructure Client, Browse your datastore, right click on the .VMX file and "Add to inventory".

You can also do it via CLI using the vmware-cmd command.

Comment

Working...
                X