VMWare Networking.. Pls Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare Networking.. Pls Help

I have a VMWare server (Ver 1.0.6) on my laptop and two guests running on my external hard-drive. My laptop is on Win XP and both the guests are also running on Win XP Pro. I have configured as bridged networking.

Attached is the setup of my VMWare network. I have installed IIS on one of the guest (Venus) and I can't access it from the other guest (Mercury) and my laptop!! I tried ping and I was able to see the responses on both the guests and from my laptop. I tried Telnet and it fails. On both the guests, Windows Firewall is disabled.
    What needs to be done if I have to access resources from other guests and my laptop? Do I need to switch to host-only networking? Iím planning to develop my own network lab and I need to access resources installed on one guest from other guest and my laptop. I need to expand to one more guests too. I want to know how can make the guests communicate with each other. If there are any manuals/guides/documents, please guide me. I have been trying this since a month and I would appreciate any assistance provided.
    Thanks
    PS: Attached is the network I built
    Attached Files

Re: VMWare Networking.. Pls Help

Be sure the virtual NICs are enabled in the guest configuration of each guest VM.

Be sure the virtual NICs in the guest configuration of each guest VM is set to use the bridged adapter (VMNET0).

Be sure that in Host|Virtual Network Settings|Automatic Bridging tab, Automatic is NOT CHECKED

Be sure that the phsyical adapter you have chosen to use as your bridged adapter is chosen correctly in Host|Virtual Network Settings|Host Virtual Network Mapping tab.

Be sure the "VMware Bridge Protocol" box is checked on your laptop's physical adapter that is being used for the bridge.

You shouldn't be forced to use host only networking but you're welcomed to try that so long as your guest VMs don't need to access the network beyond the host they are connected to.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

Could you please eloborate with steps to the resolution you offered. I'm sorry; I'm new to VMWare and appreciate if you can provide me some detailed steps for the points you wrote..

Thanks in advance..

Comment

Be sure the virtual NICs are enabled in the guest configuration of each guest VM.
        Edit the guest settings. Ensure there is a virtual network adapter installed and that it is enabled (via the 2 checkboxes).

Be sure the virtual NICs in the guest configuration of each guest VM is set to use the bridged adapter (VMNET0).
        Again, this is defined by editing the guest settings. The default is to use the bridged adapter but you may have monkied with it. Verify it's set to the bridged adapter (VMNET0).

Be sure that in Host|Virtual Network Settings|Automatic Bridging tab, Automatic is NOT CHECKED
        Open VMware Server and follow the menu locations and settings that I defined above.

Be sure that the phsyical adapter you have chosen to use as your bridged adapter is chosen correctly in Host|Virtual Network Settings|Host Virtual Network Mapping tab.
        Open VMware Server and follow the menu locations and settings that I defined above.

Be sure the "VMware Bridge Protocol" box is checked on your laptop's physical adapter that is being used for the bridge.
        Right click "Network Settings" on your desktop or in My Computer. Choose Properties of Network Settings. Right click your physical or wireless adapter that is being used as the bridged adapter. Choose properties. In the middle of the properties sheet for your NIC, you'll find your bindings. Ensure the VMware Bridge Protocol box is checked which allows the NIC to act as an Ethernet bridge between your guest virtual machines and your Ethernet network.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X