No announcement yet.

error using vmkfstools to create datastore

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• error using vmkfstools to create datastore

I've been asked to automate an ENTIRE ESX 3.5 installation and creation of VM's.
    I have succesfully created a ks.cfg file to automate install of ESX 3.5 on an HP DL380 G5.

I have the commands for VM's to be created, just need to know how to add to a ks.cfg or to automate 'post install' script.

My REAL problem is that I cannot create the /vmfs/volumes/<datastore> using " vmkfstools -C vmfs3 -S storage /vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba0:0:0".

I cannot use the VI Client as I have been told it MUST be scripted. I thought that using fdisk to create a partition before using the command to create a vmfs partition would help. It didn't work.

I'm sure it's simple for someone who's done this.

What's needed is:

1. command line creation of /vmfs/volumes/<datastore and register as datastore in ESX server

2. create vm's from .vmx files and place them into datastore. I assume using vmware-cmd -register

ANY pointers would be appreciated.

Re: error using vmkfstools to create datastore

First you need to create a partition, set the partition type, and then you can create a datastore.

And this link might also help you out...
    Last edited by Maish; 22nd July 2008, 19:49. Reason: Found some more info
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!