Vista VM won't boot - BSOD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista VM won't boot - BSOD

I have a Vista 32-bit guest on an XP64 host in Workstation 6.0.4. The Vista guest is a clone (a physical image) of a system (drive) from another machine, so there are hardware differences. My VM is built on a SCSI VM disk. The original disk was IDE, and I went through my VM and fixed up the drivers and registry, to the point where all drivers are loading, or at least I have no driver errors, e.g., xyz.sys is missing or corrupt. I had also rebuilt the VM's BCD with BootRec.

Now, I'm stuck with a BSOD, Stop 0x7b (0x80403ba0, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). The BSOD does not state "INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE." I tried importing the CriticalDeviceDatabase registry key from a "good" Vista VM also built on a VM SCSI disk, but that did not help. So, I'm stuck.
    JimmyW

Re: Vista VM won't boot - BSOD

Nonetheless, 0x0000007b is the classic inaccessible boot device error on Windows which has happened because your virtual disk was not properly migrated. Convert your physical Vista machine using VMware Converter and let us know how that turns out.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks, Jas. I neglected to mention that using Converter was among the first things that I tried. Sorry. I ran Converter both ways: Convert and Configure. First, I created a Converter VM from a vmx that I created from a dd image that I mounted as a physical disk. That source vmx would not boot, or even get to a boot option menu. Converter doesn't support dd images, but only certain third party images. I don't think that it should matter, as I began with a disk that was a clone of the original. I also ran Converter in the Configure mode, to no avail.

When I first created my VM, I got to the Windows Error Recovery screen. If I chose Start Windows Normally, the guest restarted and I ended up at the same place. Choosing Launch Startup Repair simply refreshed the Error Recovery screen. I also booted from a Vista CD and tried a repair, and it failed to diagnose or fix a problem. I could not boot to safe mode, with or without any of the F8 options. Trying to do so just restarted the guest and takes me back to the Windows Error Recovery screen.

After tinkering with drivers and the BCD, I managed to get to the point at which I now sit. The 0x7b. I've built VMs like this a number of times, although most were XP. I always run the VM on "foreign" hardware. This is the first that has caused this much trouble.
      JimmyW

Comment

Hi, can you verify what version of VMware Converter you are using for your P2V? Thanks.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks. I used the latest version, 3.0.3, Build 89816.
          JimmyW

Comment

Working...
          X