ESX 3.x vs ESXi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESX 3.x vs ESXi

With reference to article by David Davis (http://www.petri.com/vmware-esx-server-3i.htm) we can say that ESXi is good......but this is the case only for small setup or ESXi has really edge over ESX 3.x...... m little bit confused......kindly give your opinion

thanks

Re: ESX 3.x vs ESXi

I'm not really "getting" ESXi yet myself. For those that are "new" to VMware or virtualization, it's a convenient way to purchase ESX bundled into your hardware and ensure the hardware is compatible with ESX. But as an experienced user, I don't need that. I do believe the embedded hypervisor is the direction the serious players are heading. To me it's just an alternative path that ends up at roughly the same destination.

Although ESXi can be decked out with the necessary licensing to be as powerful as full blown ESX, I still prefer the installable version of ESX. I guess I'm a control freak. I need to have the integrated Service Console and I'm not yet on board with the remote service console appliance offered with ESXi. On one of the VMware podcasts I was on, we discussed remote service console. My issues with it are 1. It's clearly labeled as beta on the installation/boot screens. 2. As an appliance, there are no tweaks that can be made to it to satisfy corporate baseline hardening requirements. Another VMware podcast panelist complained of its lack of security.

On the other had, the BIOS based ESXi has a much smaller footprint and may be easier to patch.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

ESXi is easier to patch compare to service console base ESX3.x, and this is the only benefit that i have noticed with ESXi(embeded or installable) but its still its a question when somebody buy VI3 he/she choose ESXi or ESX3.x............kindly give opinion if anybody can explane..

Thanks
      Shawn

Comment

Unless you purchase ESXi along with VMotion and shared storage, patching is not easier because you have to shut all your running VMs down to patch your host. You might as well spend the $28 on Hyper-V.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

We looked into both ESXi and ESX and chose ESX. Here's why:

From what we were told by VMWare, everything (95%) is the same as ESX except for the size and how it's installed. I don't know if that's the missing 5% or not. Whether it was 32mb or 100mb for the installation - we didn't care.

We also discovered that ESXi is only supported from the OEM on a few servers from IBM and HP. You can get an installable version of ESXi too but you are on your own for support. HP actually does offer just the USB drive with ESXi on it but it only works on a few of their servers. IBM only bundles it on 2 servers.

Here's a PDF from VMWare that may explain more. Slide 11 seems to make the most sense.
          http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/ESX_...esentation.pdf

We found very little info comparing the two from both VMWare and the OEM's. In fact when we called HP, they had never even heard of ESXi and this was back in May!

Comment

Well, now things change a little bit for the entry level folks.

VMware announced today that before the end of July 2008, ESXi will be free.

Update 2 (previously announced for a June release) is also going to be released this month.

Jas

Comment

Hi there,
              I found that with ESXi you couldn't add a virtual serial COM port and map it to a physical port.
              Has any one used vRangerPro with ESXi?
              Thanks,
              Hs2k02

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                VMware announced today that before the end of July 2008, ESXi will be free.
                Is this listed on their site or is this through the sales channels? Just curious because we are considering another installation and don't want to buy now if it will be free shortly...

Comment

Originally posted by jjarzabek View Post
                  Is this listed on their site or is this through the sales channels? Just curious because we are considering another installation and don't want to buy now if it will be free shortly...
                  It was announced during yesterday's Q2 earnings call.

http://www.virtualization.info/2008/...free-next.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hs2k02 View Post
                    Hi there,
                    I found that with ESXi you couldn't add a virtual serial COM port and map it to a physical port.
                    Has any one used vRangerPro with ESXi?
                    Thanks,
                    Hs2k02
                    ESX is an enterprise class hypervisor. In any enterprise deployment, at a minimum you're going to have more than one ESX host for redundancy and maximum availability. Preferrably you're also going to have VMotion, DRS, and HA. What this means is that your VMs don't live on a specific host. The VMs are fluid and can dynamically move from one host to the next. Translation: it doesn't make much sense nor does it fit the ESX model to anchor a VM to a specific ESX host for the sole purpose of utilizing a hardware device hanging off the ESX host whether it be a COM port for serial communications or a SCSI port for a tape backup device.

Comment

ESX is an enterprise class hypervisor. In any enterprise deployment, at a minimum you're going to have more than one ESX host for redundancy and maximum availability. Preferrably you're also going to have VMotion, DRS, and HA. What this means is that your VMs don't live on a specific host. The VMs are fluid and can dynamically move from one host to the next. Translation: it doesn't make much sense nor does it fit the ESX model to anchor a VM to a specific ESX host for the sole purpose of utilizing a hardware device hanging off the ESX host whether it be a COM port for serial communications or a SCSI port for a tape backup device.
                      Thanks for the reply Jason.
                      We're using a smaller ESXi server as a testing platform for software development. One of the software packages we're testing requires serial port access hence the need to map to physical ports. The software is destined to a physical host after testing.

So does ESX allow serial port mapping to physical port?

Comment

Originally posted by Hs2k02 View Post
                        So does ESX allow serial port mapping to physical port?

Yes.

See screenshot attachments 1, 2, and 3 in sequence.

Jas
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yes.

See screenshot attachments 1, 2, and 3 in sequence.

Jas

Thanks Jas,

We have installed a demo and found ESX does allow a physical port mapping, where the same options were greyed out in ESXi.

Cheers,
                          Hs2k02

Comment

Originally posted by jjarzabek View Post
                            Here's a PDF from VMWare that may explain more. Slide 11 seems to make the most sense.
                            http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/ESX_...esentation.pdf
                            FYI the preso has been updated to reflect free ESXi and the chart is now on page 12.

Comment

Working...
                            X