BEST VCB 3rd PARTY APPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST VCB 3rd PARTY APPS

ok guys just opening a debate about consolidated backup Products.

ESXEXPRESS V3 seems to have more options than say Vranger or VCB with ESX 3.5. It also has additional plug-ins for File Level backups which has its benefits over VMDK Full Backups for granular restores!!

Has anyone tested this product or could recommend through previous experience the best application on the market today?

Re: BEST VCB 3rd PARTY APPS

I've been using Ranger for a few years with no real complaints but it does experience unknown backup failures from time to time.

I'm being forced to move to VMware VCB in conjunction with Symantec NetBackup soon so I'll have some experience with that in the near future. From what I know about it already, I'm not a big fan of it but maybe it'll grow on me. It seems much more complex than the GUI driven Ranger product, plus it's a best practice to have a dedicated VCB proxy server which I'm not a fan of either.

I get granular restores with my already existing agent based backups (Backup Exec and soon to be NetBackup). I use the 1-2 punch method of backups. This means I'm backing up the encapsulated .vmdks for disaster recovery purposes as well as agent based file level backups for day to day restore requests. It's the best of both worlds.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: BEST VCB 3rd PARTY APPS

I've been using VCB for both granular file-level and full image backups. I use modified Symantec BackupExec integration scripts. I do file-level backups daily and full image backups twice a week.

I'm still tweaking the scripts to get everything just the way I want it but have had very few problems. There isn't any GUI integration when using just VCB except in the case of using the browse-start BackupExec integration script, but the scripts aren't that difficult to understand.

I haven't tested any of the 3rd party options available on the market because VCB is working for us. I do know that in addition to vRanger and esXpress, Veeam (makers of FastSCP) also has a backup solution for VI3.

Comment

Working...
      X