Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invisible ability

iam an absolute abecedarian …
    i am not quite familiar with the sections here. so in case i have posted this thread in a wrong sector, i may be excused just this one time and i request the concerned to kindly move this thread to the appropriate part of the forum…

My immediate requirement is to install Linux OS in addition to XP which iam already using. i need to learn the use of Linux OS in Virtual machine. I intent to use the VM for reversing and malware analysis.

Which do i need to download first of all in this context?
    VMware Workstation or VM Server!

Any suggestion even if not quite pertinent to the thread would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Re: Invisible ability

Originally posted by eneye View Post
    iam an absolute abecedarian …
    i am not quite familiar with the sections here. so in case i have posted this thread in a wrong sector, i may be excused just this one time and i request the concerned to kindly move this thread to the appropriate part of the forum…

My immediate requirement is to install Linux OS in addition to XP which iam already using. i need to learn the use of Linux OS in Virtual machine. I intent to use the VM for reversing and malware analysis.

Which do i need to download first of all in this context?
    VMware Workstation or VM Server!

Any suggestion even if not quite pertinent to the thread would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you.
    You can use either Workstation or Server. Both are "hosted" virtualization options meaning the hypervisor is hosted by a host operating system (either Windows or Linux). Among the differences between Workstation and server are:

Workstation
    =========
    Costs $ for a license, around $100US
    Meant for running one to a few virtual machines in more of a developer or test workstation environment
    Start virtual machines manually

Server
    =========
    Free!
    Installs with an optional web based management user interface
    Meant for running many virtual machines in more of a dedicated server context
    Can be configured to automatically start virtual machines upon host reboot
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Jasonboche .. Thank you...

Code:
      You can use either Workstation or Server. Both are "hosted" virtualization
       options meaning the hypervisor is hosted by a host operating system
      You have provided exactly what is needed at the moment. Very precise and accurate answer to my query. (Though the second sentence is little over my grasp; but all the same i got the general idea)

Following your opinion, i have the VMware server downloaded.
      Now …
      no. no.. no more ..i don’t intent to become a pest worrying you any more. But if...

but, it’s altogether a dissimilar subject ..
      So, this request may look a little extraneous to the present topic .but it is important to me being relevant to my present requirement.
      i have the ( ubuntu-8.04.1 –desktop-i386 ) downloaded. It is needed to be (something like )hash checked before installation.
      It means ubuntu Image file must have integrity checked in my system (iam using XP).

How do i go about doing this ?
      What is the software I need in this situation?
      i've visited the site http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=290339 but ....

And after that may be a little more .. like how to …. ubutu in VM .

enlighten me …please..
      Last edited by eneye; 14th July 2008, 08:32.

Comment

I will answer here if Jason does not mind.

Firstly you can always run an md5 checksum on each iso image you download.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...20on%20Windows

And to save you time.

An example on how to setup Hardy ..

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfec...ts-hardy-heron
        Maish
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Maish …

I found the answer ...” Md5 Check Sums are the same “. It was so simple an operation. “ Elementary my dear … “ . Hope I won’t get flamed by Ian Fleming worshipers for using those famous words at a trivial situation. Any way the link you had posted served the purpose; though I had visited the site earlier, it did not make much sense to me then. Context sensitive Brain !. Opportunist !!

talking about selective memory..
          Did I really ask for such a basic level issue .i must be forgetting with me getting younger... Now, i remember a little more clearly. I was seeing guidance on the installation of Ubuntu in VMware server in Virtual Machine?

confusion ??
          If anyone imagines that iam not sure whether it is - IN VMware / or IN Virtual Machine -...!!
          It may not be a figment of the imagination. Yes! You are right…(.Remember,.i have a tendency to forget all this.. later on..)
          Clarity here is requested..

Now, the situation is...
          I have a clean ubuntu ; i have VMware Server ..
          this ubuntu needs to be installed ; so that i can use Virtual Machine for Reversing Code and malware analysis . iam sure that the installation process is much simpler than it sounds(more so.. after it is done).

Since , there seem to have sufficient enthusiastic intelligence in this forum, willing to share their knowledge with those needs it , I will wait for their kind response thankfully ..wish to get a narrative as simple as one jasonboche had provided earlier .
          it is meant for a newbie .

Regards.
          Last edited by eneye; 14th July 2008, 10:50.

Comment

You are quite the conversationalist, and a modest and polite one at that. You'd be fun to get wound up at a coffee shop or a bar. I haven't had a drop of alcohol in 8+ years but I'd be happy to meet up with you at any place that serves coffee to sing praise to VMware and bash Hyper-V.

With your last post, I understand you have acquired and MD5SUMd the Ubuntu and VMware Server downloads. You have the documentation to install both (The installation of VMware on Linux, particularly Ubuntu, isn't as straight foward as it is on Windows, but I'll make the assumption you're comfortable and know your way around Linux enough for it to be a piece of cake for you). As I recall, the biggest challenge with Ubuntu (and this was from my own experience 2+ years ago) was that you need to install the developer support tools during the installation of Ubuntu which are required for a step later on to install/configure VMware. With the newer versions of Ubuntu, I do not know if this is still a requirement or not. Go through the installations and let us know how it turns out. With any amount of luck, you'll breeze through the install and be ready for guidance on the installation and configuration of guest virtual machines (we call them guest VMs or just VMs for short).
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
              I will answer here if Jason does not mind.
              By all means, please do. These aren't my forums and I can't always provide timely reponses. Thank you.

Jas

Comment

jasonboche ...

Thank you for your offer for a coffee. I tried to locate that coffee house you had in mind and found out these details: That place is located at Longitude: 93° West and iam at Longitude: 80° East; situated almost at the ‘Other Side of Midnight ‘. So, that coffee would cost me at least $2500 in airfare alone assuming you would at least unwillingly pay for the coffee. I feel its bit expensive.

Ubuntu...
                Last night I tried to install ubuntu. Yes! as you have stated, i needed more awareness in this line. Ubuntu started asking me for partitions and other info, the details of which I was not clearly aware of. So, i managed to stop it halfway thru the installation.

Because..
                My daughter is leaving for Chicago soon, for doing her MS and she had some valuable data on this computer; i did not want it get lost due to my lack of knowledge. So the installation has to wait for another couple of weeks.

Good Advice..
                - Go through the installations and let us know how it turns out . -
                i have a feeling you are impatient to know how i am going to spoil my computer in this process. i can almost see your mischievous smile and hear a suppressed cheery merriment. But , unfortunately you need to wait for another 4 weeks if ever you get an opportunity to really experience it.

if you are pressed for time don’t bother to reply in haste . take your time

Good wishes Regards…
                Last edited by eneye; 15th July 2008, 10:43.

Comment

You're not as comfortable as I thought on Ubuntu, or Linux in general. Would you prefer a host based virtualization product running on Windows? What is your area of expertise?

Jas

Comment

The going on here is appealing and the same time very useful too, contrast to the usual monotonous question and answer format. Questions of broad nature asked in a more individual tone spiced with humorous, anecdotes adds a totally different color to this whole exercise and it makes impression and learning interesting and encouraging especially to newbie.

To the present topic, May I add these few lines which I distantly understand (I am not very sure of it). Please correct me when needed. If one wants to use XP + VM + Linux, one may follow these steps after getting confirmation from the experts from this forum.

VM server is installed on XP (for e.g.).
                    When the server is running, create a Virtual Machine.
                    Then choose Linux.

Hope it helps-

Comment

Working...
                    X