Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VMWare mouse driver installed but I have a "Code 41

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VMWare mouse driver installed but I have a "Code 41

    I found the link to this thread today because I am experiencing the same problem.

    After following what was suggested I have the VMWare mouse driver installed but I have a "Code 41". Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device.

    Any ideas on this one?

    ESX 3.5
    XP SP3 VM

  • #2
    Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

    @jjarzabek: After 3 months it is generally best to start a new thread. I keep wishing we'd get an auto-close in place.

    I'm a short-timer on VMWARE but an old IT fart so I'm gonna give you my US$0.02 -- not worth much I'm afraid:

    1) ESX on XP -- what's up with that? OR is it a real piece of HW running ESX w/ XP as the Guest -- I'm old and confused. And why are you running XP as a Guest in a "real" VMWARE environment? Here in sand land we run everything on top-of-the-line blade servers w/ VMWARE enterprise everything. On my "lab" XP 4 GB desktop at the house, I'm running Server 2.0 RC1.

    2) You're giving us NO info on what the process has been to this point: You bagged an ESX license from the office, installed it on your Tandy PC compatible machine w/ 640 KB, Hercules monochrome 640x480 screen (amber) and a serial mouse and wow, nothing works...

    Would love to help. May I say Server 2.0 RC1 has worked out pretty well so far. A few warts and I may try an MS solution on my other machine for comparison but a heck of a deal for US$0 for sure.
    Last edited by rvalstar; 11th July 2008, 17:42.
    Cheers,

    Rick

    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

    2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

      Rick, with all do respect - your post was useless.

      Regarding why am running XP doesn't matter. The fact is I'm running it because that is what the app runs best on.

      Like I wrote at the bottom of my post, I'm running ESX 3.5 with an XP VM...

      As for the hardware for this specific VM - it's on an IBM 3550 maxed out (dual quad xeons and 32GB ram) connected to a FC SAN.

      This is the only VM am having mouse issues with.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

        Please try this:

        Go to add/remove programs.
        Uninstall VMware Tools
        Reboot the VM
        Re-install the VMware tools
        Let's see where you are then.

        Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

          Originally posted by jjarzabek View Post
          Rick, with all do respect - your post was useless.

          Regarding why am running XP doesn't matter. The fact is I'm running it because that is what the app runs best on.

          Like I wrote at the bottom of my post, I'm running ESX 3.5 with an XP VM...

          As for the hardware for this specific VM - it's on an IBM 3550 maxed out (dual quad xeons and 32GB ram) connected to a FC SAN.

          This is the only VM am having mouse issues with.
          With NO due respect to you, your's was the useless post. Don't come in here and hijack a 3 month old thread with no information and expect us to come running to your aid.

          This is not the "let's drop everything and help jjarzabek for free" fan club.
          Cheers,

          Rick

          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

          2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

            Jason,

            I've done the remove/install routine several times. The only thing that appears to work is doing a custom install and deselect the mouse driver. However, then the admins have to do the ctrl+alt hotkey everytime to exit the console...very annoying. It doesn't seem that the VMWare mouse works at all.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

              Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
              Please try this:

              Go to add/remove programs.
              Uninstall VMware Tools
              Reboot the VM
              Re-install the VMware tools
              Let's see where you are then.

              Jas
              Jason: Being new to this, I got the feeling the Tools only gave us the nice startup / shutdown / logon / logoff scripting capability. Is there a link on what else they do?
              Cheers,

              Rick

              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

              2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

                Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                With NO due respect to you, your's was the useless post. Don't come in here and hijack a 3 month old thread with no information and expect us to come running to your aid.

                This is not the "let's drop everything and help jjarzabek for free" fan club.
                Rick, no one is hijacking anything here. I brought the thread back because it already had good information in it. I wasn't going to copy all of that and start fresh.

                Forgive me, but out of the 15 or so forums I run, I have threads that go back about 3 years.

                BTW - I didn't ask for anything free. I didn't see anywhere to pay or donate but I'll be happy to if you like.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

                  Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                  Jason: Being new to this, I got the feeling the Tools only gave us the nice startup / shutdown / logon / logoff scripting capability. Is there a link on what else they do?
                  Rick, this is from a workstation page on VMWare's site but most still apply:
                  http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/d..._tools_ws.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

                    Originally posted by jjarzabek View Post
                    Rick, no one is hijacking anything here. I brought the thread back because it already had good information in it. I wasn't going to copy all of that and start fresh.

                    Forgive me, but out of the 15 or so forums I run, I have threads that go back about 3 years.

                    BTW - I didn't ask for anything free. I didn't see anywhere to pay or donate but I'll be happy to if you like.
                    Keeping a thread open for 3 years is unwise. Period. If you run 15 or so forums then you should be well aware of the way in which an OP gets a good set of responses. Lack of info isn't one of them. Insulting the Pro bono help isn't another.

                    Have you tried making another P2V of a similar XP set up and see if the mouse situation exists for it too? Have you tried moving the VM around to other HW?

                    I take it you can keyboard your way around. are you able to uninstall the mouse driver and scan for hardware changes?

                    I have noticed in my short (1 month) play on VMWARE 2.0 Beta and now RC1 that stuff doesn't always work on the VM as one (I) would hope. Applying SP3 to a VM'd XP instance was difficult while the real hardware version worked first time.

                    Point being, exercise whatever degrees of freedom you have.
                    Cheers,

                    Rick

                    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

                    2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

                      Originally posted by jjarzabek View Post
                      Rick, this is from a workstation page on VMWare's site but most still apply:
                      http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/d..._tools_ws.html
                      Thanks for that. I do recall the graphics and NIC improvements. Shared folders are not available in Server but USB 2.0 is.

                      Off chance, do you think your mouse issue may be USB related? Wild thought but the reason I went w/ Server 2.0 was specifically for the USB 2.0 capability.
                      Cheers,

                      Rick

                      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

                      2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

                        Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                        Thanks for that. I do recall the graphics and NIC improvements. Shared folders are not available in Server but USB 2.0 is.

                        Off chance, do you think your mouse issue may be USB related? Wild thought but the reason I went w/ Server 2.0 was specifically for the USB 2.0 capability.
                        I need to look into that. The only issue is the 3550 has no PS2 ports - only USB. I'll try a serial mouse next but that won't help with IP over KVM...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

                          Originally posted by jjarzabek View Post
                          I need to look into that. The only issue is the 3550 has no PS2 ports - only USB. I'll try a serial mouse next but that won't help with IP over KVM...
                          Do you have other non-XP VM's working on that machine? Then I wouldn't chase the serial mouse. But it is an odd possibility, no???
                          Cheers,

                          Rick

                          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

                          2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

                            I have 2 2K8's and 3 2K3's on there. All work fine with VMWare tools installed. This is the only XP VM though. That's probably the issue right there but the program won't run on anything newer...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

                              Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                              Jason: Being new to this, I got the feeling the Tools only gave us the nice startup / shutdown / logon / logoff scripting capability. Is there a link on what else they do?
                              Taken from: http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/d..._tools_ws.html

                              Originally posted by VMWare.com
                              It is very important that you install VMware Tools in the guest operating system.

                              With the VMware Tools SVGA driver installed, Workstation supports significantly faster graphics performance.

                              The VMware Tools package provides support required for shared folders and for drag and drop operations.

                              Other tools in the package support synchronization of time in the guest operating system with time on the host, automatic grabbing and releasing of the mouse cursor, copying and pasting between guest and host, and improved mouse performance in some guest operating systems.
                              end copy/paste of above article

                              VMware tools also provides the VMXNET NIC driver and an updated version of the BusLogic driver for legacy VMs, as well as the experimental/beta descheduler service for obtaining accurately timestamped perfmon data from guest operating systems.

                              Jas
                              Last edited by biggles77; 14th July 2008, 17:06. Reason: Claification of the quoted text copied from VMWare site
                              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X