Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 Enterprise and VMWare 6

Hi
    I am very new to all this, an old guy (56) trying to learn, from my reading it appears Server 2003 Enterprise can be installed on VMWare 6, my problem is i keep getting the error message below

"A bootable device might be a CD, floppy, hard disk, or network device, as when booting with PXE.
    To install an operating system, insert a bootable CD or floppy and restart the virtual machine by clicking the Reset button."

I know the disk is bootable, as i have used it

I installed Vista without a hitch, i have tried to install this on 2 separate PC's with the same problem. Any help would be appreciated also tried with an ISO..Regards Bo

Re: Server 2003 Enterprise and VMWare 6

Am I to understandyou are attempting to boot from a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise CD in Workstation 6 when you are receiving that error message?

You also tried with an .ISO created from the same CD?

It doesn't sound like the CD is bootable anymore or there is some incompatibility between the CD and the CDROM drive you're using. Do you have another known good copy of the CD, or can you try to boot from the CD (or create an .ISO of from the CD) on another computer? The CDROM drive on your machine there may be old and/or dusty. Could be out of calibration. I've seen this before.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Jason
      The disk is is 100 % bootable on one of the PC's, you are correct when you say their is a compatability issue bewtween the CD and the CDROM., on the first PC.

It work fine on the second PC that was the first thing i did, but on the second PC where it does boot from i get the same message. I will take your advise and create an ISO on the second PC and see what happens...Cheers Bo

Comment

Jason thanks for you advise problem solved i replaced the disk and now all is good...Cheers..Bo

Comment

Excellent. Glad to help someone out.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X