Outbound adapter - ESX 2.5.3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outbound adapter - ESX 2.5.3

What would be troubleshooting steps when vm's can't access external network when outbound adapter is checked off on virtual switch and all vm's are assigned to same vlan on vswitch? NIC card dedicated to vm's is patched to physical switch, using same cable can hookup laptop and connect.

Re: Outbound adapter - ESX 2.5.3

At least 1 outbound adapter needs to be assigned to the virtual switch. Sounds like you've done this already. If VLAN'd, is the VLAN configuration correct? If using VLANs and multiple portgroups, be sure the VMs are assigned to the correct portgroup.

Are all VMs on the virtual switch severed from the network, or only some?

Is it a known good pNIC? Is there another pNIC you could try that may be already installed in the ESX host, or perhaps a spare NIC you could install to test?

Is the pNIC in question in a bond?
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

All of the vm's are assigned to vlan1 in network0, have no problem with them communicating between themselves.

Only have a total of 3 vm's, none of them can get to the physical network.

PNic was purchased new, exact same model as nic used for console. It lights up and seems to have activity. Did an ifconfig and shows vmnic0 with rx and tx numbers. Don't have any spares that are certified to work in esx.
      No bonding.

Comment

Sounds like you have some consistency in that all VMs are having the issue getting to the outside network, but they can all communicate with each other on the virtual switch.

Try unlinking the pNIC from the virtual switch. Then relink the pNIC to the virtual switch.

You'll have to help me - VLAN1 is the default Cisco VLAN correct? Are you in fact using VLANs or not? Are you VLAN tagging? Are you sure you have the VLAN set up correct on the switch? What is the pNIC network cable connecting to?
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

HAve tried unbinding the adapter and then binding it again, vm's still can't get to outside.

I'm taking the default vlan number it gives you when the port group is created. Each vm is assigned to vlan1 and outbound adapter is bound to the vswitch. I did try creating a new switch and new portgroup as vlan2, assigned one of the vm's to vlan2, unbound the adapter from the original vswitch and bound it to the new vswitch, no difference, still doesn't get out. Deleted the second switch and now back to original setup.

No tagging that i'm aware of. The pnic is patched to a 5 port switch which is cabled to a router, the console pnic is patched to the same 5 port switch, having no problem with it.

IS it a requirement that the local network on vswitch be on the same subnet as the outside physical network? Originally had dhcp on 2003 vm assigning addresses to the other 2 vm's but on different subnet as physical network. Tried giving each vm static addresses on same subnet as physical network, still won't get to the outside but can still communicate with each other.

Comment

Unless your vlanning, you should not be tagging your portgroup(s). This is called Virtual Switch Tagging (VST). Try removing the VLAN configuration from the portgroup.

Comment

Thanks, removing the port group and assigning each vm to network0 now allows the vms to get to physical network. Thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X