Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCSI or SAS Disk for VI 3.0.2

Hi all

This is my first post in this forum and I'm going to ask a really basic question but I have looked and cannot see the answer.

I have created and used in test for several weeks a VM ESX Server x 2 in VMWare workstation 6 and used OpenFiler on the disk side. Now I've got the idea of what I want I would like to the follow the advice given in several articles on this site to get a second-hand server to move from a virtual test setup to a physical test setup.

In all of the articles I've read it says that ESX Server only will work on SCSI drives. There a any number of Dell Poweredge servers for sale on EBay but they all seem to have Perc Xi raid controllers and SAS disks.

My question is will ESX server run on SAS disks? Simple question. If it has to be SCSI then any ideas on minimum spec would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dipper17

Re: SCSI or SAS Disk for VI 3.0.2

SAS is Serial Attached SCSI. Given the vast improvements in serial technologies over the years, SAS is at least as fast (or faster) as traditional SCSI given equivalent drives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Attached_SCSI

From an ESX standpoint, I have to imagine SAS will be transparent as the OS driver is essentially compatible (SAS uses the standard SCSI command set). If iSCSI works, I can't imagine SAS won't.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vmware+perc+sas
    Last edited by rvalstar; 7th July 2008, 21:56. Reason: From and ESX standpoint... and Google
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I hoped that was what you were going to say. I am going to check the minimum hardware requirements for VMWare 3.0.2 and hopefully that will include various Dell SAS devices.

Thanks

Dipper17

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, I'm running ESX v3 on a Dell 2950 with 4 300gb SAS drives. Works like a champ.
        Chris

Comment

When in doubt, consult:

All ESX 3.5/VC 2.5 documentation:
          http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/v...s_35_3i_i.html

More specifically, the ESX 3.5.x HCL:
          http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_systems_guide.pdf

And for the sake of all that is holy, use the current version of ESX (3.5 Update 1). Forget about 2.x.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
            When in doubt, consult:

And for the sake of all that is holy, use the current version of ESX (3.5 Update 1). Forget about 2.x.
            Are you suggesting the OP abandon the ebay Dell w/ SAS since the configuration is not in the HCL?

What troubled me most about the HCL were the SAS "not tested" exceptions for other vendors. For Dell, there was no mention of DASD.
            Last edited by rvalstar; 7th July 2008, 23:13. Reason: What troubled me...
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
              When in doubt, consult:

I'm going to use ESX Server 3 (version 3.0.2) as this is the only copy my organisation has got. When we have proved it works I will ask if we can update to 3.5

Thanks

Dipper

Comment

Originally posted by KnacK View Post
                If it makes you feel any better, I'm running ESX v3 on a Dell 2950 with 4 300gb SAS drives. Works like a champ.
                Does this mean you are running ESX Server from the SAS Drives. I assume it does, but just having a check as this is the server I'm looking at.

Thanks

Dipper17

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                  Are you suggesting the OP abandon the ebay Dell w/ SAS since the configuration is not in the HCL?
                  For non-production, no.
                  For production, yes.

I was merely pointing out the definitive list of what's supported by VMware and what's not. VMware's site is chock full of information and many have difficulties finding the documentation or sorting out its meaning. It's up to each administrator whether or not they wish to be supported or not.

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                  What troubled me most about the HCL were the SAS "not tested" exceptions for other vendors. For Dell, there was no mention of DASD.
                  Get the HCLs in your RSS reader and you'll see that the HCLs are constantly evolving at a rate of about 1 update per week. VMware is constantly certifying new hardware from hardware vendors of all sizes. I'm sure the hardware vendors are pushing VMware as hard and fast as possible to keep up since it's in the hardware vendor's best interest to get their hardware components certified for VMware Virtual Infrastructure. Keep in mind that nobody, especially VMware, wants to rush the certification process and risk infrastructure stability for speed to market certification. That would be a black eye for all involved. All the players have a reputation to uphold. This isn't Windows where you can throw almost any hardware at it and it will probably run without issue. With all the virtual servers running on top of the virtual infrastructure, it's critical to maintain uptime of each host because of the massive impact that just one host failure can cause, let alone several ESX hosts going down at the same time because you used a shared storage solution that isn't certified on the HCL. If you think the HCL is slim right now, you should have seen it back in the ESX 1.x and 2.x days. VMware was much more reserved back then. They seem to have opened up some since 3.x with whitebox component support and the like.

Jas
                  VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Originally posted by dipper17 View Post
                    I'm going to use ESX Server 3 (version 3.0.2) as this is the only copy my organisation has got. When we have proved it works I will ask if we can update to 3.5

Thanks

Dipper
                    You do realize that with maintenance, your 3.0.x licenses are automatically good for 3.5.x right? I just wanted to make sure you knew you were not up against a budget constraint for upgrading to 3.5.x at least from a licensing standpoint. 3.5.x really made some great improvements over 3.0.x that I would personally push you heavily for. You do yourself and your organization a disservice by rolling out 3.0.x. Make sure management understands the benefits they are forfeiting by installing a 2+ year old version.

Jas

Comment

Thanks for the info about the licenses. Did not know that. Will definately look into upgrading before I transfer it from virtual to physical.

Happy to keep everything on 3.0.2 at the moment as I am running it inside Workstation 6.0 and I thought 3.5 would not run inside 6.0. I think I read that in Mr Davis's article.

Thanks for the info, will read all the links and see what risks we are taking by using SAS. I notice you do not recommend it for Production as yet, I guess because it has not been certified by Dell?

Cheers

Dipper

Comment

Right - for production you want to be supported. Running production on unsupported platforms is a precarious situation to be in.

Comment

Happy to keep everything on 3.0.2 at the moment as I am running it inside Workstation 6.0 and I thought 3.5 would not run inside 6.0. I think I read that in Mr Davis's article.
                          That is correct, it will not run on workstation 6.0..

But... It will run on Workstation 6.5 Beta 2....
                          Maish
                          ----------------------------------------------------------
                          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                          ----------------------------------------------------------
                          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Dell servers that come with SAS are the 9G servers. AFAIK they are all in the ESX3 HCL.

if you ask such questions, it might be a good idea to read up on the differences between SCSI and ATA, and the more modern SAS and SATA technologies.
                            ________
                            Bmw e63/e64 history
                            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:07.
                            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Does this mean you are running ESX Server from the SAS Drives. I assume it does, but just having a check as this is the server I'm looking at.

Thanks

Dipper17

Yes that is correct. In fact, I had a conference call with my account rep at Dell and their inside VMware guru. We went through my 3 servers and verified everything would work.
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X