Size of XP Image !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of XP Image !!

I created a new XP image for VMWare with updates to XP-SP3.The size of my image folder ends upto being 26GB as compared to another image i created before which was < 5 GB.I can see there is a new file created this time as Windows-XP Professional-flat.vmdk which is about 24GB and Windows XP Professional.vmdk is only 1 KB. THe flat.vmdkfile does not exist in my previous image files.Only thing i did different was to use ISO image file to install XP.
    Any ideas why the image size is so big and what can i do to reduce the size ??

Thanks in advance.
    Anna.

Re: Size of XP Image !!

I Preallocated the size of disk to 25 GB when creating the image, Is that the reason -size of image is about 28 GB.Is it better not to Preallocate the size of VM ?

Thanks
    Anna.

Comment

Originally posted by anshusid View Post
      I Preallocated the size of disk to 25 GB when creating the image, Is that the reason -size of image is about 28 GB.Is it better not to Preallocate the size of VM ?

Thanks
      Anna.
      Preallocating disk is the cause.

When you do not preallocate, you get smaller .vmdk file sizes, however the drawback is in performance in that your .vmdk will be fragmented all over the data store hard drive(s).

Make your own decision on what's more important to you.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

And of course you should remember that certain product of VMware (ESX for example) do not support disks that are not pre-allocated.
        Maish
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
          And of course you should remember that certain product of VMware (ESX for example) do not support disks that are not pre-allocated.
          Maish, what you are stating applies to older 1.x/2.x versions of ESX only.

In ESX3, thin provisioned disks may be created and the "thin" type disk space will be allocated and zeroed on demand as needed by the VM. This is where the fragmentation will occur.

Please use the command man vmkfstools to learn more about disk types in ESX 3.x

Jas

Code:
          SUPPORTED DISK FORMATS
               These are the arguments that can be passed to the '-d' option for the
               '-c' (create virtual disk) and '-i' (clone virtual disk) operations.

`zeroedthick`
                   This is the default option when creating new virtual disks.
                   A zeroed thick disk has all space allocated at creation
                   time, and this space is wiped clean of any previous contents on the
                   physical media.

`eagerzeroedthick`
                   An eager zeroed thick disk has all space allocated and zeroed out at
                   creation time. Such disks may take longer time during creation
                   compared to other disk formats.

`thick`
                   A thick disk has all space allocated at creation time. This
                   space may contain stale data as it exists on the physical media.

`thin`
                   Space required for thin-provisioned virtual disk is allocated and
                   zeroed on demand as opposed to upon creation.

`rdm`
                   Virtual compatibility mode raw disk mapping.

`rdmp`
                   Physical compatibility mode (pass-through) raw disk mapping.

`raw`
                   Raw device.

`2gbsparse`
                   A sparse disk with 2GB maximum extent size. Disks in this format
                   can be used with other VMware products.   The 2GB extentent size
                   makes these disks easier to burn to dvd or use on filesystems that
                   don't support large files.

`monosparse`
                   A monolithic sparse disk. Disks in this format can be used with
                   other VMware products.

`monoflat`
                   A monolithic flat disk. Disks in this format can be used with other
                   VMware products.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X