Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare 3.02: Creating Admin Accounts

Hi,

Does anyone know how to create an admin account on a VMWare EXX 3.xx server?

I've tried from ViClient to create one the same as my own (same groups and so on) ... I can log in fine but he cannot. Someone has given me an extremely dubious workaround involving the removal of permissions from a group (wintel) and then adding them back but, as you can tell, I'm not happy about that.

There has to be a better way and I suspect that involves a bit of mucking about with the VMWare Console.

Any ideas appreciated.

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: VMWare 3.02: Creating Admin Accounts

EXX 3.xx Server?

First off, I'll have to snare you on a few silly technicalities:
    1) Too many "X's" in your post. There's no such thing as EXX server. It's ESX. Imagine the confusion this would cause if I didn't know any better? Attention to detail my friend.
    2) There is no such thing as ESX Server. ESX Server was rebranded to simply ESX a few months ago.

I warned you they were silly technicalities didn't I?

Now, "admin" accounts can be created to ESX hosts using the Virtual Infrastructure Client (the preferred method for Wintel fellas), or by using the COS command line Linux command useradd. Typically you'd add this user to the wheel group as well.

If your ESX host is a member of a VirtualCenter managed virtual infrastructure, separate Admin accounts are maintained in VirtualCenter. Well, actually they aren't maintained by VC. VC will leverage Active Directory infrastructures and permissions are granted in VC through "roles". VC comes pre-canned with many roles which may already be suitable for you, including an all powerful Administrator role.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

OK ... so contacting the bloke who handed these ESX systems over to me I now have this method:

1. Log on to ViClient
      2. Under "Permissions" tab right-click and select "Add permission"
      3. Add own ID to "Administrator" group and exit (use "OK" to save)
      4. Under "Users & Groups" tab right-click and select "Add" to add a new user.
      5. Enter details, ensure user is added to the "wintel" group and that "Grant shell access to this user" is checked.
      6. Back under "Permissions" tab select "wintel" and delete it.
      7. Add "wintel" back to "Administrator" group and exit.
      8. Log out and test new ID

As you can see it's a bit-of-a-pain and somewhat illogical so a few notes may be in order:

* Reapplying the rights seems to be the only way this can work without giving an ID specific (direct) admin rights and the original owner of the systems never figured out a better way to do this.
      * The reason I needed to add myself explicitly to the Admin group (steps 1 & 2) is because my account would normally inherit permissions via the "wintel" group, there is potential risk removing those (step 6) before they are re-added (step 7) and in order to re-add them you need Admin rights.

So there you go ... it's tedious (especially on a group of ESX systems that aren't a "farm") and I am sure there must be a better way but it works.

Kyu
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

VirtualCenter can be tweaked to contact Active Directory Domain Controllers to get updates of account and group membership quicker than the default.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X