Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esx3.5 - use of UPS / or not ?

Hi.

Guides / tips on how you have done, using a UPS with the ESX 3.x installation.
    How to set it up tested configurations, sw / hw.

Any info is very much appreciated.

Thanks
    /Matz

Re: Esx3.5 - use of UPS / or not ?

UPS as in Uninterruptable Power Supply? Are you asking how to set this up with ESX? What does a UPS have to do with the installation process of ESX? I'm not quite getting your question and I'm left guessing as to the context.

Thank you,
    Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Jason., sorry if I made a mess out of this question.

Yes, Uninterruptable Power Supply.

My questions:

1. Installation of UPS sw on the ESX 3.x server, for bringing down the Host.
      What kind of UPS'es do you use and installed SW ok on the ESX?

2. Installed UPS sw on the VM's like we do on a std server, or can I use the (if installed) UPS sw on the ESX to bring down the VM's?

3. Thoughts and ideas what you have tested and found working.

Thanks for your input.
      Matz

Comment

haven?t tested it myself, but I presume any UPS software usable under RHEL3/4 should work under ESX. might require some work, but after all ESX is linux based.

also there should be the standard native packages, have a look: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/UPS-HOWTO/
        ________
        Ford Times Specifications
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:04.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by Matz View Post
          Jason., sorry if I made a mess out of this question.

Yes, Uninterruptable Power Supply.

My questions:

1. Installation of UPS sw on the ESX 3.x server, for bringing down the Host.
          What kind of UPS'es do you use and installed SW ok on the ESX?

2. Installed UPS sw on the VM's like we do on a std server, or can I use the (if installed) UPS sw on the ESX to bring down the VM's?

3. Thoughts and ideas what you have tested and found working.

Thanks for your input.
          Matz
          You can install UPS management software in the ESX service console providing the RPMs are compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. The management software will have the authority to shut down the service console which in turn will shut down the VMware ESX Kernel.

The last step to configuring this would be to configure ESX to gracefully power down all VMs upon shutdown. ESX is not configured to do this out of the box. If you don't configure this, ESX will just power off your VMs which is not in the least bit graceful and may cause problems with your VMs next time you boot 'em up.

Jas
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X