One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual ma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual ma

I am running VISTA on which I have loaded a Linux VM. I am using VMWare Workstation 6.0. My system shutdown last night (not sure why). When I go back into VMWare Workstation and try restarting the instance, I get the following message:

"One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot"

1. Is this a common problem, in which case what is the recommended approach to mitigate it.
    2. What is the solution?

Re: One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual ma

do you perhaps in folder where your VM is have a .lck file/folders

If so then delete them and you should then be able to open it
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Re: One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual ma

Originally posted by nikhilkumar View Post
      I am running VISTA on which I have loaded a Linux VM. I am using VMWare Workstation 6.0. My system shutdown last night (not sure why). When I go back into VMWare Workstation and try restarting the instance, I get the following message:

"One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot"

1. Is this a common problem, in which case what is the recommended approach to mitigate it.
      It would be a common problem if it was common for your PC to shut down ungracefully. Your PC doesn't boot from ROM, guaranteeing you a clean OS boot each time no matter what the circumstances. It's got a disk drive with moving parts inside of it, upon which VMware and VMs are dependent.

Originally posted by nikhilkumar View Post
      2. What is the solution?
      MAISH provided you with a good solution.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
      X