VMWARE PLAYER - mounting partitions and compiz not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWARE PLAYER - mounting partitions and compiz not working

I have installed ubuntu 8.04 linux thru vmware player in windows xp.

1. Now i cannot mount windows partitions, because fdisk cannot find them, effectively I cannot use files on my computer (main desktop beaing windows). How can that be? Is the only solution shared folder? Hopefully not, I would then like to share the whole disk drive. Only then is it usable. Even in that I have a problem that vmware player doesn't allow me to add shared folders, instead under shared folders (enabled option on yes) I have no folder and no option to set up an existing one.

2. The second problem is that the fancy GUI in ubuntu cannot be enabled. I have nvidia geforce2 MX400 64 Mb video card. The compiz configuration works, but no candy, even though it is enabled in compiz configuration. I figure out it might problem with vmware.

Re: VMWARE PLAYER - mounting partitions and compiz not working

1. share the folder with windows and use fstab to smb-mount it in ubuntu upon load
    2. the video card is the simple vmware provided driver, not the geforce.
    ________
    Dodge Ram Daytona History
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:57.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Re: VMWARE PLAYER - mounting partitions and compiz not working

If I understood you corectly under 2) that means that the regular vmware driver is not capable of offering compiz functionality or any other open gl game in linux and there is nothing I can do about it. End of story.

and regarding 1)
      "1. share the folder with windows and use fstab to smb-mount it in ubuntu upon load"

Perhaps I didn't mention the fact I am a n00b. I can run sudo fstab in terminal but I don't know how to write the parameters and what is "upon load". Could you make in more laymen terms.

Thenk you for answering though.

Comment

Working...
      X