ESX Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESX Server

I am investigating vmware and I would like to install it on my pc as I am lead to believe that you can obtain a 60 day evaluation.

Can I install it on my pc or do I need to have a san?

Sorry for the stupid question but I am new to vmware.

Re: ESX Server

ESX is supported on a wide range of SERVER systems; it CAN sometimes be installed on workstation hardware but you're talking about a full moon, a following wind and a four leafed clover in your pocket. Also, it would be completely unsupported.

Don't forget that ESX installs on bare metal - it does not install on Windows or Linux and it's almost impossible to get it working in a virtualised environment. (I say almost simply because I have heard anecdotes of people getting it working in a VM but I don't REALLY believe it).

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

::glances at the OP's forum name::

You're new to VMWare, but you're a VMWare admin. That's fine, but get ready to inhale a vast amount of information to get proficient at this.

How'd you land your VM admin job or did you involuntarily volunteer?

Anyways, here's some links about this topic:
      http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...n-a-vmware-vm/
      http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...erver-and-usb/

Keep it up!
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post

You're new to VMWare, but you're a VMWare admin. That's fine, but get ready to inhale a vast amount of information to get proficient at this.

heh heh.. attention to detail aye..

in addition to that.. follow this link as it provide details on mostly working configurations for VMWARE whiteboxes

http://vmetc.com/2008/03/21/cheap-es...s-for-testing/

Comment

Hi.

I have both installed Esx 3.5 and 3i on different WS without any real issue.
          Used AMD/Intel boxes, Adaptec/LSI Sata Raid cards and the onboard SATA controller.

For testing purpose this should all be fine.

Also installed on older srv hw, like HP DL360 / DL380 / ML 360 .
          All this is good for testing different things and dont have to test on the production sys.

Good luck
          /Matz

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            ESX is supported on a wide range of SERVER systems; it CAN sometimes be installed on workstation hardware but you're talking about a full moon, a following wind and a four leafed clover in your pocket. Also, it would be completely unsupported.

Don't forget that ESX installs on bare metal - it does not install on Windows or Linux and it's almost impossible to get it working in a virtualised environment. (I say almost simply because I have heard anecdotes of people getting it working in a VM but I don't REALLY believe it).
            Stonelaughter ---- It works - believe it me works, I had a VC 2xESX Hosts and Openfiler all set up in Workstation 6.0 up until a few months ago, when ESX went to 3.5 and the whole went FUBAR. Only recently (with the release of Workstation 6.5 Beta 2) is it possible to run ESX 3.5 and power on a VM. So I now have the same setup as above with 3.5 Hosts. It is a huge resource HOG!!!!!!

Of course this is only for testing purposes. If you were ever thinking that this could get to anywhere near a physical server - no way. Testing and educational purposes only!!!!
            Maish
            ----------------------------------------------------------
            Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
            VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
            MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
            A proud husband and father of 3 girls
            ----------------------------------------------------------
            If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post

Anyways, here's some links about this topic:
              http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...n-a-vmware-vm/
              http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...erver-and-usb/

Keep it up!
              My post doesn't state that I am working as a VMware admin, just a meaningless username!

Thanks for the links, they should come in handy for me

I would just like to install it on my pc and play about with the software to help me learn all about ESX server / Virtual machines

Comment

Working...
              X