Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESX3.5 install / scripted / Unattended

Hi.

Would like some info / input about how to fast install a fresh ESX 3.5 server from scratc with perset settings, like:

1. Partitons
    2. Network settings
    3 e.t.c.....

Best practice, the optimal thing would be to make a bootable cd with everything scripted?

Can you export the settings from a running ESX box?

How do you do when you install systems?

Anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Regards Matz

Re: ESX3.5 install / scripted / Unattended

Using a lot of scripting that I came up with, I can build an ESX 3.5.0u1 server from scratch, have it patched to the gills, and joined to the cluster in under 55 minutes. (I timed myself).

My posted document over on the VMware forums speaks exactly to this topic and received a 5 star rating:
    http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-3482

If you'd like a peak at all my scripting, let me know. It saves TONS of time.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Jason I read your post on VMTN - WONDERFUL! ! ! !! ! ! ! 55 minutes!!

Would it be possible to also get a copy of the install script?

Thanks
      Maish
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Hi jasonboche.

Thanks for your input.

I would love to have a peak at your "Scripts" , sorry but right now I do not have much to contribute with.

Right now I'm at the learning stage.

There is no way of scripting the installation also, partion of disks.
        To bring up a server from scratch.
        Like unattended installtions of Wind*.

EX/ If a server breaks ( host ) how do I quickest restore the ESX sys/setup?

Can I export the settings from a server to be used as a DR solution,
        to quickly reinstall the same server?

Thanks
        Matz

Comment

The following script is the result of I don't know how many man hours I've spent scripting the ESX installation as much as possible. A lot of it I came up with from scratch, and a few lines of the code I would have to give credit to others whom I collaborated with. Much of the sensitive data such as domains, server names, and IP addresses have been mass changed using find/replace and as such some may not make logical sense. Obviously you would supply your own environment specific information in place of mine. This script is to be run after the initial CD-based setup of ESX after the server reboots.

The code was too long to post here (forum restriction barked at me) so I just dumped it in a text file and I'll host it on my web server for you to grab.

http://www.boche.net/dropbox/esxscript.txt
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Originally posted by Matz View Post
            Hi jasonboche.

Thanks for your input.

I would love to have a peak at your "Scripts" , sorry but right now I do not have much to contribute with.

Right now I'm at the learning stage.

There is no way of scripting the installation also, partion of disks.
            To bring up a server from scratch.
            Like unattended installtions of Wind*.

EX/ If a server breaks ( host ) how do I quickest restore the ESX sys/setup?

Can I export the settings from a server to be used as a DR solution,
            to quickly reinstall the same server?

Thanks
            Matz
            There is a way to script/automate partitioning and text/gui based setup stage of ESX, but I haven't gone that far. You can use an existing ESX server and a kixstart script or a 3rd party tool such as HP/Altiris RDP for imaging your ESX server. I don't like to go that far because there's some dynamic information in that stage of the setup that needs to be unique from server to server. Namely the server's host name, and the service console IP configuration. Changing them can be scripted, I have the code for it, it's just a pain to imlement, requires prompting for the information during setup, and doesn't save me much additional time based on the number of servers I have to deploy in my environment.

Comment

Working...
            X