Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Vmware Esx Server On Workstation

Hi

I’m recently I started studding to learn more about ESX and become VCP certified. However unfortunately I have hit a massive brick wall(repeatedly with my head because of it ). I’m hoping someone on here would be able to help with. I have tried to search the net for a solution but haven’t been able to find a def answer. I have used the guide on how to run ESX on workstation with no luck. The Guide hxxp://www.virtualization.info/2007/06/tech-how-to-run-esx-server-3-on-vmware.html

I’ve been trying to set up a lab at home with little to no success. My problem in brief is that I am un able to virtualizes any ESX servers to try VMotion, HA, DRS ect.

The plan is to have a host OS run Workstation where I can run multiple ESX serves.

I was able to pull off from work on off our old DL380 G3 2x2.8Ghz and buffed it up with 8.5G RAM, 6x18.5G HDD(at RAID 0). Also I should mention that the server physically has 9G ram modules but the host OS only picks up 8.5 for some reason.
    I should mention that the server works fine with a single ESX 3.0 or 3.5 as the host.

Because I would like to virtualizes multiple ESX servers I decided to drop W2k3 Ent on the server as the host.

The Problem:

The ESX server take a [censored] off long amount of time to boot up(counted at aprox 5 hours).

I have used workstation 6 with esx 3.0.x and 3.5 and both of them have the same effect. I tried installing Workstation 6.5 to see if this makes any diff and nothing both take a [censored] off long amount of time to boot( Yes I have disabled debugging on 6.5).
    I have tried the suggested steps on this website http://www.virtualization.info/2007/...on-vmware.html nothing.

Also I have tried doing the same on my main PC with different issues. The problems that I get are that the ESX server will boot quicker but then with just pink screen.
    The PC is: AMD X2 5200 3Ghz,3G DDR2, 6x250G HDD(Raid 0), Asus M2N32 Vista Ed, Vista Ultimate

So the questions is how do I get the Dl380 and or my Pc to run ESX on Workstation?

Anny help or suggestions or pointers in the right direction would be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by IcEd_RuSsIaN; 2nd June 2008, 02:25.

Re: Running Vmware Esx Server On Workstation

Your DL380G3 doesn't meet the CPU requirement to run ESX under Workstation optimally. That is why it's taking so long for ESX to boot. You need much newer CPUs to pull that off. Each article that describes the process of running ESX on Workstation should be mentioning this. If you want the specifics, let me know. Otherwise, you're better off installing ESX directly on your DL380G3.

Sorry you wrote such a long post and you get such a crappy answer.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
      Your DL380G3 doesn't meet the CPU requirement to run ESX under Workstation optimally. That is why it's taking so long for ESX to boot. You need much newer CPUs to pull that off. Each article that describes the process of running ESX on Workstation should be mentioning this. If you want the specifics, let me know. Otherwise, you're better off installing ESX directly on your DL380G3.

Sorry you wrote such a long post and you get such a crappy answer.

Jas
      Basicaly you'd need a virtualization enabled CPU. Any new Xeon dual or quad core will do the work for you, but you need to check if your old DL380 would support a new dual / quad core virtualization ready CPU. you'd also need to enable virtualzation support from BIOS otherwise you'll experience same issues.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyleo_EA View Post
        Basicaly you'd need a virtualization enabled CPU. Any new Xeon dual or quad core will do the work for you, but you need to check if your old DL380 would support a new dual / quad core virtualization ready CPU. you'd also need to enable virtualzation support from BIOS otherwise you'll experience same issues.
        It won't. I have a DL380G3 racked in my basement so I know exactly what hardware he has. The server is going on 4-5+ years old. It makes a fantastic file server for me though.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

ohhh

what about running it on my other PC? any ideas as to why it does that?? or Any ideas as to find like a log file or something.

Also on my DL380 if i installed ESX 3.5 then would i be able to run another instance of ESX 3.0 as a VM and lest say have multiple ESX VM running inside on ESX server?

Comment

If your CPU supports Intel VT then it will work, and it needs to be enabled in the BIOS.

Just FYI. ESX 3.5 will not work on workstation 6 only 6.5 beta 2. On 6.0 you will not be able power on a VM.

I have a VC, 2xESX hosts and an Openfiler server all working wonderfully on Workstation 6.5, VMotion HA, DRS and all.
            Maish
            ----------------------------------------------------------
            Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
            VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
            MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
            A proud husband and father of 3 girls
            If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by IcEd_RuSsIaN View Post
              ohhh

what about running it on my other PC? any ideas as to why it does that?? or Any ideas as to find like a log file or something.

Also on my DL380 if i installed ESX 3.5 then would i be able to run another instance of ESX 3.0 as a VM and lest say have multiple ESX VM running inside on ESX server?
              No, you can't run ESX as a VM inside of ESX. The only well documented method to one hypervisor inside of another hypervisor is the ESX on Workstation and you don't have the required hardware for that.

Pick up another cheap DL380G3 off ebay and then get a 3rd box to run Openfiler or run Openfiler as a VM for iSCSI storage.

Comment

I downloaded the newer version of the 6.5 beta and ESX booted up on my PC. Now my problem is that workstation is constantly in debug mode and for some reason the other fixe i used one the previous version doesn’t seem to work.

Anyway i'll give a go when i get home.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

rename the vmware-vmx-debug.exe file (C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation).

Copy vmware-vmx.exe to new name of vmware-vmx-debug.exe and restart workstation

Debug mode is gone....
                  Maish
                  Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                  VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                  MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                  A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                  If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

I've tried that but i some how still think that workstation is still actually running in debug mode. I don’t get the warning message but ESX is still slow to boot.

It's allot faster to boot on my PC in Workstation then of my DL380 in workstation but it still takes like 30-40 min.

During the booting up and one's ESX is up and running the vmware-vmx-debug.exe is using 99% of both of the CPU cores.

Also i get these weird error message that i have attached a pic off below my vmx file during Esx boot and just after.I googled the error but all i got that it's rather random between ESX versions

This is the vmx file that im running ESX off.
                    Code:
                    config.version = "8"
                    virtualHW.version = "7"
                    numvcpus = "2"
                    scsi0.present = "TRUE"
                    scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
                    memsize = "2608"
                    scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
                    scsi0:0.fileName = "ESX2.vmdk"
                    ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
                    ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"
                    ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
                    floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
                    ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
                    ethernet0.connectionType = "hostonly"
                    ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
                    ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
                    usb.present = "TRUE"
                    ehci.present = "TRUE"
                    sound.present = "TRUE"
                    sound.fileName = "-1"
                    sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
                    svga.vramSize = "134217728"
                    mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
                    pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
                    pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
                    pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
                    pciBridge4.functions = "8"
                    pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
                    pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
                    pciBridge5.functions = "8"
                    pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
                    pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
                    pciBridge6.functions = "8"
                    pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
                    pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
                    pciBridge7.functions = "8"
                    vmci0.present = "TRUE"
                    roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
                    displayName = "ESX2"
                    guestOS = "redhat"
                    nvram = "ESX2.nvram"
                    deploymentPlatform = "windows"
                    virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
                    easyInstall.removeFloppy = "FALSE"
                    unity.customColor = "|23000000"
                    tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

extendedConfigFile = "ESX2.vmxf"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"

ide1:0.fileName = "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\linux.iso"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
                    uuid.location = "56 4d 60 89 aa be e9 51-54 e2 38 45 91 32 ee 69"
                    uuid.bios = "56 4d 60 89 aa be e9 51-54 e2 38 45 91 32 ee 69"
                    scsi0:0.redo = ""
                    checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
                    pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
                    pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
                    pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
                    pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
                    pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
                    scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
                    usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
                    ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
                    sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
                    ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
                    vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
                    ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:32:ee:69"
                    ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
                    vmci0.id = "-1858933143"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"
                    monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "TRUE"
                    monitor_control.vt32 = "TRUE"
                    monitor_control.enable_svm = "TRUE"
                    monitor.virtual_exec = "harware"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
                    priority.grabbed = "high"

debugStub.linuxOffsets = "0x0,0xffffffff,0x36ed14d,0x0,0x36ed15d,0x0,0x2d1b0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x36ed15e,0x0,0x36ed176,0x0"

ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"
                    usb.generic.autoconnect = "FALSE"
                    floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
                    sound.startConnected = "FALSE"
                    Last edited by IcEd_RuSsIaN; 4th June 2008, 14:06.

Comment

Hi

Well after a lot of mucking around and googling I still have not been able to find a way of getting ESX to boot up quickly or stop it using 100% of both the cores during idle in Workstation on my other PC.

I found that one’s ESX server is up I’m not actually unable to connect to it. I can ping it but when I go to connect via VIC or IE it just says “the server took too long to respond”. Alos whilst pinning I found that the response time from my host PC to ESX server was aprox 300-400ms. The response from host PC to another running VM is only 1ms. This might have something to do with the connection issue but I have no idea as to where to start looking.

This has been driving my head against the wall.

Also what PC do people use to run ESX within workstation successfully? I was looking at just getting a cheap duo and a P35chip board this is what I took to get this running because unfortunately getting another server is not really in my budget.

Any help would be great

******EDIT******

Also I forgot to mention, I found that I was able to connect to the ESX VM from another VM when the VMware Nic that both the VM’s are bound to is disabled on my host(vista) control panel. I tried this with a MS loopback and achieved the same result.
                      This does strike me as rather od .

In the past I always tried not to use VIC/IE in a VM because I found that it froze up allot then on my host whilst been connected to my Dl380.

The console still crashes but this time I think it might be related to not having enough CPU recourses for available to the VM as ESX is using 100% of both my cores.

Again any help would be highly appreciated.
                      Last edited by IcEd_RuSsIaN; 9th June 2008, 14:29.

Comment

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by IcEd_RuSsIaN View Post
                          Any other ideas/suggestions?

Until you install ESX on server class equipment, or equipment that is on the ESX HCL, my suggestion would be to enjoy a nice long game of Grandmaster level chess while you wait for your ESX server to boot up. My ID internet Chessmaster (ubisoft.com) is jasonboche

Jas

Comment

I'm talking about getting it to boot in Workstation on my other PC not the server? i tried on a friends Intel Quad didn’t get the heartbeat issue but still took like 30 min to boot and still was not able to connect from the host.

Also the avrg CPU was at 50-55% but considering that is a quad core that means that it would roughly+ = my AMD dual

What would be the oldest server i can get with VT? or that i can drop VT CPU's into? Im not biased a bout brands so dell,IMB,HP all good.

Comment

I got it to work,

thnx for the help

Comment

Working...
                              X