Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converted image problem-invalid boot.ini and no hard drive detected by windows XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converted image problem-invalid boot.ini and no hard drive detected by windows XP

Hi, first post here with a deceptively simple problem. My host machine is running Vista Home Premium and the machine I'm trying to access is an XP home machine to run a program made by a company that no longer exists. With that out of the way let me get to my problem.

I originally started this by using Virtual PC 2007 only to realize that you can't print natively through USB(I'm aware of the work around but I couldn't get that to work either, if you can walk me through it I would be more than grateful), so I turned to VMware. I used the VMware converter to convert my Virtual PC 2007 image to one that VMware Server would recognize and run. Doing that I add the machine in VMware server and try to boot it up. I attempt to boot and get the following errors(see below)

So now that I did that(twice might I add, thinking I did something wrong the first time). What are my options? What can I do to get this guest machine working? Can you guys help me print from Virtual Machine 2007? Just in case you guys can't help me get this machine running? I appreciate any help at all.
    Attached Files

Re: Converted image problem-invalid boot.ini and no hard drive detected by windows XP

Here you can find the answer, the article refers to VMware ESX but it should apply to VMware server.

http://virtrix.blogspot.com/2007/09/...xp-on-esx.html

Regards

Comment

Re: Converted image problem-invalid boot.ini and no hard drive detected by windows XP

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this did not fix my problem. I was able to get into the recovery console and rebuild my boot.ini file yet I still kept looping that the boot.ini was invalid. I tried twice(and yes, I did remember to eject both the floppy image with the SCSI drivers as well as the XP image) and I'm still where I was where I began. I don't know how much support I can get from VMware themselves as I'm using Server (a free product) without paying for support. I checked the log files of Converter as well only to not find any errors. I seriously have no idea what to do at this point other than to try to figure out how print via USB on Virtual Machine 2007 which ran fine despite not being able to print via USB(which I hope someone can help with that instead, seems much easier than trying to get this to work). I guess I'll crawl back over to VPC07 and try my luck at that. Thanks anyway though.

Comment

Originally posted by AmbiguousCrossup View Post
        Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this did not fix my problem. I was able to get into the recovery console and rebuild my boot.ini file yet I still kept looping that the boot.ini was invalid. I tried twice(and yes, I did remember to eject both the floppy image with the SCSI drivers as well as the XP image) and I'm still where I was where I began. I don't know how much support I can get from VMware themselves as I'm using Server (a free product) without paying for support. I checked the log files of Converter as well only to not find any errors. I seriously have no idea what to do at this point other than to try to figure out how print via USB on Virtual Machine 2007 which ran fine despite not being able to print via USB(which I hope someone can help with that instead, seems much easier than trying to get this to work). I guess I'll crawl back over to VPC07 and try my luck at that. Thanks anyway though.
        Sorry , but i think you should keep trying, VMware Server is an excellent tool, i've been working with this software for a while and also with ESX. YES, like you i had some problems installing Windows XP but i fixed with the article i sent you before. Something is not clear for me, is Windows Xp already installed in your VMware Server??? why don't you delete the machine and install it again?. Please let me know your progress.

Comment

What I did originally was use Norton Ghost 14 and made a virtual PC 2007 .vhd out of a backup I made. I thought that VPC07 would be the end all be all and would solve my problem but it didn't. I couldn't print through USB natively. That's when I heard about VMware server. At first I thought about using ghost 14 to make a .vmdk of the same PC to use in VMware server but the .vmdk was incompatible for some reason(something about the .vmdk being made in a version of VMware with more features). So i dug around some more and downloaded the converter and thought that that would solve my problem(which obviously didn't). Now I can do a clean install of XP onto a guest machine thanks to that link you provided but I can't exactly do anything with that since the software I'm trying to use(Marinasofts' Dive Service Manager, if you're curious) doesn't exist in physical form(the company no longer exists) and I no longer have the installer or product key to re-install the software. Even if I did I don't think I'd be able to activate the software since that company no longer exists and they've disappeared off of the face of the earth. At least the guest machine in VPC07 runs and I'm able to use the software but can't print. I almost want to throw this laptop out of the window because I know that the solution is literally right there and it just slips through my fingers every time. nonetheless, I really appreciate your help.

Comment

Originally posted by AmbiguousCrossup View Post
            What I did originally was use Norton Ghost 14 and made a virtual PC 2007 .vhd out of a backup I made. I thought that VPC07 would be the end all be all and would solve my problem but it didn't. I couldn't print through USB natively. That's when I heard about VMware server. At first I thought about using ghost 14 to make a .vmdk of the same PC to use in VMware server but the .vmdk was incompatible for some reason(something about the .vmdk being made in a version of VMware with more features). So i dug around some more and downloaded the converter and thought that that would solve my problem(which obviously didn't). Now I can do a clean install of XP onto a guest machine thanks to that link you provided but I can't exactly do anything with that since the software I'm trying to use(Marinasofts' Dive Service Manager, if you're curious) doesn't exist in physical form(the company no longer exists) and I no longer have the installer or product key to re-install the software. Even if I did I don't think I'd be able to activate the software since that company no longer exists and they've disappeared off of the face of the earth. At least the guest machine in VPC07 runs and I'm able to use the software but can't print. I almost want to throw this laptop out of the window because I know that the solution is literally right there and it just slips through my fingers every time. nonetheless, I really appreciate your help.

Do you have a physical machine with that software??? you also can try Vmware Converter to migrate your full ghost image to a vmware virtual machine. Vmwre Converter is free.

Comment

Originally posted by jsknto View Post
              Do you have a physical machine with that software??? you also can try Vmware Converter to migrate your full ghost image to a vmware virtual machine. Vmwre Converter is free.
              Oppss, sorry, i didn't read well, i see you tried the converter too .

Comment

When you converted the disk, by default on VMware it goes to SCSI.

Virtual PC uses IDE disks and their virtual disks.

Just a wild shot in the dark here.

If you did everything the way it shuld be done, then you should have a disk replica of your VPC which is now a scsi disk.

What I would try is this. Add on the virtual machine another disk, this time IDE.
                Ghost the currently populated SCSI disk to the new IDE disk.
                Remove the SCSI from the VM and try and boot again.

Hopefully you will have your OS.

(If you already have a IDE disk, then reverse the process..)

Let us know how it turned out?
                Last edited by Maish; 24th May 2008, 20:45. Reason: typo
                Maish
                ----------------------------------------------------------
                Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Use VMware Converter to convert your virtual machine to a VMware platform. It will handle the conversion process for you.
                  VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                  boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                  My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                    Use VMware Converter to convert your virtual machine to a VMware platform. It will handle the conversion process for you.
                    I did that. It didn't work. Would converting the physical machine(using VMware converter) work better instead of converting an image of that machine?

Comment

Yes it most probably would work..

The IDE and SCSI idea didn't work?
                      Maish
                      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
                      X