Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shared files and folders - approach summary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared files and folders - approach summary?

Hi folks, I'm somewhat new at VMware server, set up a test server with vmware server 1.0.5 build 80187 running on WinServer2003 x64 R2. On it I have some test servers, including Microsoft SBS 2003, WinServer2003, Ubuntu, etc etc. All physical storage is on 2 RAID arrays on the physical server.

I've been trying to contrast and compare methods of file/folder/disk sharing between (#1) SBS 2003 clients and the SBS server, as well as (#2) sharing between any of the virtual servers, as well as (#3) sharing between the host OS and the virtual servers and (#4) sharing between the SBS clients and any of the other guest OS servers or the host OS.

I'd like to pass this by everyone here to see if I have this right, the vmware documentation seems to be a bit sparse at times. I'm basically just trying to wrap my head around all the possibilities at the moment.

#1. SBS 2003 clients and SBS 2003 server: simply mapping a shared SBS folder through the domain.

#2. between virtual servers: I think I can use Samba (as per the vmware server instructions in chapter 7). There is also something called Shared Folders that is referenced in the changelog for vmware server 1.0.5 (that the Shared Folder vulnerability is fixed). Where can I find more info on this Shared Folder thing? And can I create a shared virtual disk that can be used by any guest OS? I guess I can add DFS if guest OS' are Windows servers.

#3. between host OS and any of the guest OS': I think I can use Samba in this case as well? Are there other options?

#4. between SBS clients and any guest OS (other than their own SBS OS) or the host OS: Not sure if this is even possible, given that the SBS clients are on the SBS 2003 domain?

Again, I'm only trying to wrap my head around the possibilities of sharing on the same server (this obviously doesn't even consider other storage options such as the SAN). And I don't have any one particular sharing scenario in mind, I suppose this could apply to anything (sharing printer drivers, music, documents, whatever), this is more for my learning rather than for a particular practical purpose at the moment.

Can anyone give me feedback on whether or not I'm on the right track with these?

cheers
    Last edited by pgoudswa; 13th May 2008, 16:20.

Re: Shared files and folders - approach summary?

#1. SBS 2003 clients and SBS 2003 server: simply mapping a shared SBS folder through the domain.
    Yep that is right, simple windows share

#2. between virtual servers:
    I would also do the same thing. Since these are both windows machines, I would put them in a workgroup allocate same username/passwords to both machines, create shares, and allow access between the servers.

#3. between host OS and any of the guest OS':
    If it is a windows guest then same, access the share as you usually would. If it is a linux guest, then Samba (smbmount) is your friend.

#4. between SBS clients and any guest OS (other than their own SBS OS) or the host OS: Not sure if this is even possible, given that the SBS clients are on the SBS 2003 domain?
    between SBS clients will be easy - regular windows shares. between the guest os's - linux->windows Samba mount Windows -> linux samba exports.
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
    X