cpu spike with SQL 2005 VM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cpu spike with SQL 2005 VM

We have created several VM instances in VMware ESX for "small" light use SQL databases that so far have performed fine. However, our first heavier use (2GB of combined databases and logs) SQL 2005 VM has been having some performance issues. It's been set up exclusively for a product called "Raiser's Edge". Performance seems to be as good or better than the old hardware/physical install during normal data entry or record pulls but queries/reports are taking 5-10x longer and the CPU is spiking at 100% while those queries/reports are running. What I don't know is whether or not it's normal for the CPU to spike to 100%. It could very well have done that on the old physical server but we probably wouldn't have noticed since most reports completed in a relatively short period of time. Not the case now.

The VM was installed as a single CPU (on a dual quad 1.8GHz box) and currently has 2GB of RAM assigned. The SQL database is on a virtual disk and it's currently on local storage (RAID-10) but will soon move to a SAN.

Anybody have any ideas?

Re: cpu spike with SQL 2005 VM

Have you tried to add a second CPU for a day or 2 to see if that makes any difference?

Thanks

CJ

Comment

Do you have any limits on the VM's CPU?
      Maish
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

I have added a second CPU to the VM instance. It has made things better, but still WAY slower than it used to be before it was in a VM. I tried going up to 4 CPUs but the reports did not run any faster than with 2 CPUs. There are no limitations on the CPUs.

Comment

you might have a disk IO issue. try IOmeter and analyze your disk usage. moving to a san would be a better idea. BTW have you tried increasing memory for you VM? Also check the paging during the reports.

Comment

All good ideas for troubleshooting.

I'll add one thing. If you want to experiment with adding an additional vCPU to the VM, snapshot your VM first because reverting from vSMP back to UniProcessor is not supported without the aid of snapshotting.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
            X