• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Noob Question

Hi guys,

My Setup:

SERVER : VMware Server 1.0.5 running on Ubunty Linux 6.06 Dapper
    VM : VirtualAppliancesLAMP-VMware-1.0.180

I'm accessing the Linux server remotely via ssh and have VMware Server running fine. I started the VM with the vmware-cmd command line and it says it started fine....vmware-cmd getstate returns getstate() = on.

So it all seems fine and dandy, but how do I now access this VM? I've tried to connect to https://vmnet1address:8000 but nothing happens and I can't ssh into it...so what's my next step? I've searched forums till I'm blue in the face but most of it tells me about vmware workstation or accepts that you have a gui installed.

Thanks for any help.

Re: VMware Noob Question

does the VM have a valid IP?
    is it pingable?

what networking options do you have the VM installed with?

test whether the VM is up by running
    Code:
    ps -ax |grep vm
    ________
    Toyota ts010
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:40.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

When you installed vmware server did you also install the web management interface?

Without that you will not be able to manage the server through the web.

The other option is of course a windows client that you can manage your Ubuntu guest with.

During the installation of the MUI you will be able to set which ports you want to be able to manage the server.

Accessing the VM will probably be difficult, if you do not know the IP, and with the MUI / client you can access the console of your VM, make the IP changes, and then everything can be managed from afar.

If you need any more help, shoot....
      Maish
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Another noob question.

Need to expand the SAN.
        will Sata 7200rpm 750gb hard drives suffice speedwise for holding VMDKs?
        I was thinking 10k, but the price of those in EMC san is exorberant..

Comment

As long as your vm's do not need extremely high disk performance then it should do fine...
          Maish
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

We are currently running 14 VM's on an EMC Clariion CX300 with the 750GB SATA drives. We have not had any major performance issues. We have two LUN's one that is 200GB in size and another that is over 1TB in size. The 1TB LUN does start to see a performance hit one we start to get a noticeable amount of data on it. This performance is not seen so much in the VM's themselves, more in the performance of VMware when trying to create new VM's. The 200 GB LUN is much faster in provisioning new servers.

We have several types of machines running on VMware right now. We have a test environment for Symantec Netback 6.5 running in RHEL 5, Windows Server 2003 machines, one or two SQL boxes (They are not used heavily) and even a few Citrix servers. The Citrix servers do see a slight performance hit being inside of VMware. I was at the Citrix Synergy conference in Houston, TX last week and the VMware rep said that he would not recommend putting Citrix within VMware until their new release comes out, as it is *suppose* to correct most of the performance issues with that type of setup.

I do not know if this helps at all, but I hope it has!
            Justin
            A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

Working...
            X