No announcement yet.

rename VMs

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rename VMs

I need to rename virtual machines in VMWARE workstation. I found couple of recomendations.
    One of them suggests to use vmdkftools.
    I cannot find it in my installation.
    Looks like this tool is ESX only.

Suggestion for renaming VMs
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: rename VMs

You're talking about renaming the machine as it appears in VMWare, not actually renaming the computer name, right?

If you're feeling gutsy, you can shut down the VM and edit the virtual machine config file (.vmx) by hand. I've done this before, just using notepad, on a test system. Look for the displayName field. I'm sure there are more elegant ways of doing it, but this is the only one I know of. There's more to it if you want to rename the files or directories. Google or the vmware forums should be able to help you with that.

Right click the VM and choose "Rename".

That will change the VM's name as it is recognized by VMware which is also the display name. This does not change the folder name the VM resides in, any of the VM file names, or the network host name inside the VM.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

I found one more tip...
        I wanted to rename 2 servers (in VMWorkstation)
        I just cloned existing machine. At the begining it asked for machine name. After I cloned second machine in new clean directory. So it appeared with proper files names.
        What I found after put both machines in domain.
        One of them didn't give me to login.
        I had to change a SID of this machine.

Thanks for advices.
        "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis