• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mouse problem vm workstation on HP laptop

Hi,
    I have a problem with the mouse on
    HP Compaq8 8510p laptop.
    Host OS Vista Business 64 bit sp 1 3GB dual bla bla....

1. Running VM Workstation 3.0.6.
    Installed virtual W2003 32 bit. VM TOOLs installed. Latest drivers. VT enabled in BIOS
    Had a problem with the mouse. Could scroll. Move cursor around smoothly. NO right left clicks.
    2. Now boot up W2003 64 bit. The same problem.

Is there a cure?

Thx.
    Michael.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: mouse problem vm workstation on HP laptop

Can only guess but I found I had to uninstall the synaptics mouse driver for other reasons (if you have one of those) so it may be worth checking (6715b is my model).
    Also when you first started the image did vmware say anything about clock speed etc?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Andy,
      YES it says....VM has measured your cpu speed to be 1891MHz.. but Windows
      2001MHz...... as a result your vm may run to fast or too slow.
      For workaround link:...
      But the link brings vm.com\support

So what do you suggest?
      Disable synaptic service didn't help... YET
      But I feel we'll fix it (with your help)

Thx.
      Michael.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Well I uninstalled the synaptics stuff (not sure it helped with anything anyway) and did both of the recommended KBs by VMWare and all seems to work on mine ok. Disabling will probably still use the synaptics driver so try removing it instead. it is on HPs website so you can always go back.

Have you go VM tools installed on the client?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Andy,
          Synaptics uninstall didn't help.
          The link for a workaround provided in VMWare message about processor speed detection is not functional.
          It is vmware.com/info?id=97

May be you have the right link when you worked on similar issue.

Just for fun I installed MS Virtual PC 2007 64 bit and lunched XP on it. Works fine. No errors.
          Sure should be a fix for VMWare.

Thx

Comment

Ok, it was worth a try.

http://www.vmware.com/info?id=97
            The above works fine for me?

Did you install the vmtools as well?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Finally I accessed the link
              Followed instructions. Message about the processor speed doesn't appear anymore but mouse still doesn't
              work.
              I tried XP virtual it started to work but when installed
              vm tools it stop to work.
              For server it didn't work without or with tools...
              Sad story I need virtual machines on this laptop.

It works on MS Virtual PC 2007.

Please see my new post. I unistalled VM Workstation and want to give a try to Virtual Server.
              But have some difficulties too...

Thanks again.
              Michaell

Comment

I found the solution.
                VMWare Tools screw up the mouse.
                Weird! It should improve whole VM performance
                and espessially mouse.
                I spent some time to try install and unistall VM tools drivers and features.
                The conclusion: when any of driver or feature is installed mouse is doesn't work.
                Probably it's a combination of hardware and VISTA 64. My collegue has the same laptop only with 17'' screen. But he installed 32 bit VISTA.
                He doesn't have any problems.
                The tools don't affect me. I don't need better resolution. Beside that I don't see any problems.
                The laptop is very powerfull and handle all Virtual machines without any problem.
                I saw discussions on VMWare forum. Some people complain about mouse problem.
                Hopefully it will be fixed.
                At least I found the solution.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know the solution. My laptop has the 1250 ATI card and I have the drivers from AMD's website rather than the HP ones, it could be something like that. What gfx card is in the 8510p ?
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

it's ATI Radeon HD2600.

BTW, I have a question that not directly related to VMWare but could be interesting.
                    I think I mentioned in the previous posts that I could access my Virtual machines without mouse problem even with VMTools installed when on RDP session.
                    The problem that I have when on Remote Desktop is that the resolution of my screen is very high and in RDP I cannot manage in any way the resolution of remote machine (in display properties it shows the native resolution of actual pc). The result is that on my 15" 1680x1050 the icons and letters are very small. Also I cannot manage DPI. Sure it's not related to VM it's just RDP. When I change the resolution of display in Remote Desktop promt box it resizes the RD window size but not actual remote machine desktop. I met this issue first time. Never thought about it. But now I am kind of limited. Cannot use VM Tools when in VM and cannot use RDP when VM installed.
                    I have a feeling that RDP problem could be fixed somewhere in registry...
                    May be you have a clue?
                    If not I will try to post this question on RDP related forum.

Thanks Andy for starting help with the issue.

Comment

I just discovered that VMWARE tools works fine for me under Server 2008-64.
                      But no mouse for XP and 2003-64.

Comment

Working...
                      X