Clarification on my understanding of Virtulisation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on my understanding of Virtulisation

I just want to check a few things to see if I understand how VT works.

I am looking at the Vmware Infrastructure package to use with HP Bladeserver. According to the PDF from VMWare the BL480 is compaitble with the ESX Server 3.5, ESX Server 3i Embedded, ESX Server 3i Installable.

So from my understanding the BL480 does not need to have an OS installed it will be able to boot from the Embedded software? Do I need to install this? Does this come built in?

Once its running I can create a virtual machine called Apps1 and assign it resources on Blade 1, then in future I can add a 2nd blade and add it to the resouce pool of the Apps1 server?

Does ESX Embedded work with iSCSI?

I have read differing reports on the storage of the virtual machine images. When you install a virtual machine, do you install it to the onboard disk drives or to a SAN over iSCSI?

Any help on any of my questions is appricated

Regards

Dave

Re: Clarification on my understanding of Virtulisation

if the embedded ESX comes with the machine, you should simply boot it. if not - you need to install

ESX works with iSCSI, even though the process of setting it up is a bit complicated
    ________
    Hemp Marijuana
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:36.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Once its running I can create a virtual machine called Apps1 and assign it resources on Blade 1, then in future I can add a 2nd blade and add it to the resouce pool of the Apps1 server?
      For this you will need a virtual Center. (which is another $5k license). You will need to create what VMware calls a "cluster", add both physical blades to the cluster and then you will (after additional configuration....) be able to add the both blades physical resources to the cluster and allow your virtual machines to utilize these resources.

I have read differing reports on the storage of the virtual machine images. When you install a virtual machine, do you install it to the onboard disk drives or to a SAN over iSCSI?
      As to your question it can be done on all three. For SAN you will need a HBA card for your blade. iSCSI will work with the on-board NIC. Local Storage (DAS) will work as well, but you will not be able to perform "clustering" features (HA, Vmotion etc..) because this is a local disk.
      You also have the option of NFS storage that you can use as well with the on-board NIC.
      Maish
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

some DAS boxes are capable of working in a cluster - basic multipath support and cluster storage support is there.
        ________
        Chrysler b platform specifications
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:36.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
        X