ESX IP address question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESX IP address question

I just purchased a Dell Server SC1430, and have installed ESX on it. So far everything is running fine, but i have one question.

I would like to place 8 vms on it. 2vm should have the same outside ip addresses on them. My question is, can i do this using software? or must i use extra hardware?

i dont know if i am explaining myself well, bet this is what i mean...

vm1a and vm1b if i go to whatismyip.com, should give me the same ip address.
    vm2a and vm2b if i go to whatismyip.com, should give me the same ip address.
    vm3a and vm3b if i go to whatismyip.com, should give me the same ip address.
    vm4a and vm4b if i go to whatismyip.com, should give me the same ip address.

If i only use 4 vm's and want each to have a different ip, then i do not need any extra hardware, is this correct?

Right now my cable service provider has given me a 4 port router. On this router i have 3 pc's connected, and in the 4th port there is my wireless router. Attached to my wireless router is my 4th pc, and anything else that connects to my network wirelessly.

each of the 3 machines connected directly to the router supplied by the isp has its own ip, and everything attached to my wireless router has the ip that was given to the router.

I would like to do a similar setup on the server so i can remove the extra machines.

thanks in advance!

Max

Re: ESX IP address question

Hi Max,

Using any feature of VMware you cannot have two machines showing same IP in whatismyip.com. However there is a following general way by which you can achieve this - Out of two machines on which you want same IP to be shown by whatsmyip.com, configure "two virtual lan cards" on one machine and share the internet connection to the other machine(s) on which you want same IP from whatismyip.com.

Cheers

Jitendra
    MCSE 2003, CCNA, VCP, ITIL Foundation

Comment

OK so if i understand you correctly, this means create 4 vms on the server, giving them each their own ip address that i recieved from my isp.

then take another vm and make it connect to the internet using the first vms connection...and do this for the others too.

yeah that would be perfect. I have so many cables, and power bars, i want to have my setup as tidy as possible, and this would help so much. thanks for the advice!

Max

Comment

SC1430 running 8 VMs? unless those are extremely lightweight servers, it is pushing the limit a bit too far
        ________
        Jugallette
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:35.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
          SC1430 running 8 VMs? unless those are extremely lightweight servers, it is pushing the limit a bit too far
          What are hardware specs on that server? Processor & memory?
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

it's all on the website - up to 8Gb of RAM, a single CPU (up to Quadcore Xeon) SATA only (unless an additional raid controller is purchased) and AFAIK ESX is not even supported on the machine.
            it's a basic SBS-ish server.
            ________
            Vaporizer Help
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:36.

Comment

Quad Core E5310 Processor 2X4MB Cache, 1.6GHz, Xeon 1066MHz Front Side Bus for PowerEdge SC1430

I have the full 8 gigs of ram, and have 4 hard drives for a raid setup, plus a raid card

there are 2 quad core cpu's.

ESX also works perfectly on it.

It is not running 8 vm's so far, I am hoping to get at least 4, but i think it will take more than that... apparently you can do a simple mod and have the fsb go much faster.

I am from canada, and here ordering from dell the same machine would have cost me 2400$. I ordered it from dell usa and had it shipped to a us address, it cost me 1200$. well worth it, even if i had to pay duty bringing it into canada...duty was about 140$
              Last edited by max in montreal; 27th April 2008, 06:19.

Comment

in any case, I wouldn't get an SC server to run ESX on. When you spend so much money on the ESX license, a bit extra for PE1900 or even PE2900 is not that horrible.

SC servers are for SBS-like tasks, IMO
                ________
                Michigan Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
                Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:36.

Comment

I am on the 60 day trial with esx. I am new at this server stuff.

I understand that for some of you it might not be a great machine, but up to now, for my purposes it is doing great.

thanks for all your input.

Max

Comment

i have a sc1430 how did you get it installed because i cannot connect to the ip address? it installs fine i boot from the esx cd and install and it all goes ok but i cannot connect to the IP? do you have a guide i can follow to get it running.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X