Internal network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal network

Trying to get 2 windows 2003 server vm's to connect to each other, one is domain controller, the other is member server on same domain. They are the only 2 vm's that exist on esx server 2.5. Turned off outbound traffic to route everything locally. The virtual switch exists and the properties says 'There are currently 2 virtual machines configured to use the Network0 network. '
    On domain controller setup DNS and DHCP, gave domain controller static address of 192.168.0.8 and created scope of .15 to .30. Member server boots up and gets 'limited or no connectivity.' Just want all traffic between vm's routed internally so that all machines on domain get ip address from domain controller.

Re: Internal network

What happens when you give the member server a static ip between .15-.30? If that works, that means that your DHCP is not authorized/activated on your domain controller.

I do not have much experience with ESX 2.5 but with version 3.0 - to create an internal network you create the portgroup but do not attach it to a physical adapter, that way all traffic stays within the ESX server.
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Two vNICs on the same vSwithc should be able to communicate with each other, even if they are on separate VLANs within the switch (ESX currently allows cross VLAN traffic which I'm not a fan of).

Without seeing your configuration, I actually don't know what your issue is but I will speculate the vNIC on the DC running DHCP isn't currently connected to the network. Check the virtual machine properties for the vNIC and make sure the box is checked "connected". Also make sure both VMs are on the same vSwitch.

Lastly, upgrade to ESX 3.x. 2.x is getting quite old. I used to be pretty sharp with 2.x but I've all but forgotten about 2.x
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for your help, setting up the port group and authorizing DHCP did the trick, member server now has .15 address.

Thanks again

Comment

For whatever reason I removed the member server from the domain and now it's back to 'limited or no connectivity'. The dhcp server is still authorized and the port groups have not changed, what would prevent this server from getting an ip address? Tried removing and re-creating the port group and virtual switch but still gets no connectivity.

Comment

DHCP server is unreachable from vm's, xp and win 2000 vms can't get ip addresses from dhcp server that is also dc running server 2003, all vms are in vlan5 using virtual device vlance. DCHP server is running and authorized. Could this be a bug in esx server 2.5?

Comment

This is beside the point but why are you running old versions of ESX and the VLANCE NIC?

Your version of ESX is 2 major revisions behind (2.5 --> 3.0 --> 3.5)

Your vmnic is 2 major revisions behind (VLANCE --> VMXNET --> Flexible). See http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1001805

Jas
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

It was bought a few years ago and never used, now trying to set up a test lab and don't have funds to upgrade version. If you were in the service console and did a:

findnic vmnic0 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.105

and got all 'destination host unreachable'

What would that indicate?

Get the same thing using eth0

Comment

Are you running findnic in the guest VM? The guest VM will know nothing about vmnic0 since that belongs to the host and is transparent to any VM. At best, your VM will know about eth0 or eth1, etc. If it can't see any ethernet interfaces, that's a good indication there is no virtual NIC in your VM. Edit the VM's virtual hardware inventory and make sure the NIC is assigned to the VM and it is connected. Then run kudzu in your Linux VM to see if it's detected.

I'd still recommend upgrading to the latest version of ESX, and by the way, you'll need your license keys upgraded in the process. ESX 2.x license keys don't work in ESX 3.x.

Jas

Comment

I'm using putty to connect to the service console at the console nic's ip address and signing in as root, so the findnic is being run on the server, seems like a functionality problem in the software, I've tried removing the network card and re-installing through the hardware tab of vm's, doesn't make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by nosneb90 View Post
                      I'm using putty to connect to the service console at the console nic's ip address and signing in as root, so the findnic is being run on the server, seems like a functionality problem in the software, I've tried removing the network card and re-installing through the hardware tab of vm's, doesn't make a difference.
                      findnic must be an ESX2.x only command as it's not in ESX 3.x. Even when I was pounding ESX 2.x hard, I never knew of or used that command.

I've mostly forgotten about ESX 2.x but that should be irrelevant for the simple problem you're having.

Let's get back to TCP/IP basics. If you assign a static IP address to both Windows VMs, can they ping each other via the virtual switch?

Comment

Let's get back to TCP/IP basics. If you assign a static IP address to both Windows VMs, can they ping each other via the virtual switch?
                        I believe when I tried that yesterday I was able to ping the dc's address, would have to try it again tonight to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by nosneb90 View Post
                          I believe when I tried that yesterday I was able to ping the dc's address, would have to try it again tonight to be sure.
                          Please do to help us narrow down what it is and what it isn't.

Jas

Comment

I can ping from one vm to another using static addresses.

Comment

That is good news.

Now set your DHCP client back up. I believe this is where you said you were running into the problem - the client is unable to DISCOVER/LEASE from the DHCP server.

One thing to verify: Your DHCP server is AUTHORIZED in AD.

Let us know.

Thanks,
                              Jas

Comment

Working...
                              X